https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/39973-legal_protection_for_translators.html

Legal protection for translators?
Thread poster: AminD
AminD
AminD
Local time: 02:56
English to Arabic
Dec 7, 2005

Hello,

I like to ask the following question: What kind of legal protection is available for translators? I am researching the environment of the translator as part of a project during the last year of my translation study. The question is specially related to translators in the UK and other countries in Europe.

Well, another question is: Are there differences in legal protection? When looking to different parts of the world?

Thanks in advance for your answ
... See more
Hello,

I like to ask the following question: What kind of legal protection is available for translators? I am researching the environment of the translator as part of a project during the last year of my translation study. The question is specially related to translators in the UK and other countries in Europe.

Well, another question is: Are there differences in legal protection? When looking to different parts of the world?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

With regards,
Amin
Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:56
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Legal protection for translators Dec 7, 2005

Hi Amin,

Welcome to Proz!

Could you please be a little more specific and elaborate what you mean by "legal protection"?

Aside from the general legal protection offered to every citizen in the form of rights being enforced by the State, there are many areas in which some form of legal protection comes into contact with translators: contract law, tax law, employment law and copyright law (just
... See more
Hi Amin,

Welcome to Proz!

Could you please be a little more specific and elaborate what you mean by "legal protection"?

Aside from the general legal protection offered to every citizen in the form of rights being enforced by the State, there are many areas in which some form of legal protection comes into contact with translators: contract law, tax law, employment law and copyright law (just to name a few).

It also depends a lot on the "type" of translator, i.e. freelance or employed, literary or technical, sworn or not.

If you could be a bit more specific, it might be easier to help.

Best regards,
Derek
Collapse

AminD
AminD
Local time: 02:56
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Legal protection in general (UK)... Dec 7, 2005

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your answer.

I am investigating all kinds of legal protection, so legal protection in general. For example in situations when your client doesn't pay you, or when a client claims that you made a huge translation mistake and that you have to pay the loss/costs. I already did some investigation on indemnity insurances, but this covers only certain areas. I now like to know more about which legal protection a (freelance)translator can get when the c
... See more
Hi Derek,

Thank you for your answer.

I am investigating all kinds of legal protection, so legal protection in general. For example in situations when your client doesn't pay you, or when a client claims that you made a huge translation mistake and that you have to pay the loss/costs. I already did some investigation on indemnity insurances, but this covers only certain areas. I now like to know more about which legal protection a (freelance)translator can get when the client doesn't stick to the contract. What if you are part of an association, and the client doesn't pay?

I hope this a bit more specific.

With regards,
Amin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal protection for translators?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »