Thread poster: Dominika Schoenborn

Dominika Schoenborn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:11
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 9, 2005

Dear Colleagues,
How do you understand the fragment below from 'Conditions of Purchase'?
"Unless otherwise stated in the Order, the Company shall pay the Price of the Services within 30 days after the end of the month of receipt by the Company of a proper invoice or..."
So when should the translator be actually paid?
Thank you for your help.
Dominika Schoenborn

Direct link Reply with quote

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:11
English to Dutch
+ ...
Date of invoice --> end of month + max. 30 days Dec 9, 2005

That's how I understand it.
E.g.: your invoice dates December 13.
--> Invoice will be paid by 30 January

Good luck!

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Watch out - it's calculated from date of receipt Dec 9, 2005

The point of reference is not the date of the invoice - it's the date of the receipt thereof by the agency.

So,

Your invoice is, for instance, dated 13 December

It is only received by the agency (for whatever reason) on 2 January. (the end of the month of receipt would be 31 January)

Payment would then only be due on or around 2 March (i.e. 30 days from 28 February depending on whether the legal system in question includes or excludes the date of receipt and the date of payment - it does differ from system to system)

However,

This will only really be an issue if the agency insists on hard copy invoices. If they accept invoices by fax or e-mail, there's no problem.

If they insist on hard copy, make sure you use recorded delivery (registered post with proof of receipt or, if the amount warrants it, courier) so you have a way of proving the date of receipt.

Moreover,

Make VERY sure you are clear on what constitutes a proper invoice in their books.

Hope this helps
Debs

[Edited at 2005-12-09 13:02]

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, after receipt, but I would advise to always send a PDF copy of your invoice by e-mail Dec 9, 2005

Deborah do Carmo wrote:

The point of reference is not the date of the invoice - it's the date of the receipt thereof by the agency.

So,

Your invoice is dated 13 December

It is only received by the agency (for whatever reason) on 2 January.

Payment would then only be due on 28 February

However,

This will only really be an issue if the agency insists on hard copy invoices. If they accept invoices by fax or e-mail, there's no problem.

If they insist on hard copy, make sure you use recorded delivery (registered post with proof of receipt or, if the amount warrants it, courier) so you have a way of proving the date of receipt.

Hope this helps
Debs

[Edited at 2005-12-09 12:58]

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
It would depend .......... Dec 9, 2005

....on the terms and conditions of business of the agency in question and whether your own terms and conditions are excluded etc, as to whether a PDF copy would suffice or hold any weight at all.

If they exclude your own terms and conditions (and you accept that) and their terms and conditions insist on hard copy invoices as the only form of "proper" invoicing (and you, in turn accept that), you are strictly working on date of receipt of the hard copy and the PDF copy will be irrelevant.

That said, most agencies do accept invoices by e-mail these days (with or without the need to follow it up with a hard copy).

All the best
Debs

[Edited at 2005-12-09 13:10]

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
Depends on the negotiations Dec 9, 2005

Dominika Schoenborn wrote:

"Unless otherwise stated in the Order, the Company shall pay the Price of the Services within 30 days after the end of the month of receipt by the Company of a proper invoice or..."
So when should the translator be actually paid?

Like it says: "unless otherwise stated in the order". In other words, they do expect that another payment interval could be reached in negotiations.

Depending on the size of the job, I'd start negotiations by pointing out that I've never done business with the agency before and that I'm unwilling to grant a credit of €€€€ for xx days.

Somehow I can't bring myself to believe that an agency has to study a "proper" invoice for more than thirty days before they manage to figure out just what money to transfer to their supplier and just how to go about it.

P.

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
About agencies taking 30 days to pay... Dec 9, 2005

Peter Bouillon wrote:

Somehow I can't bring myself to believe that an agency has to study a "proper" invoice for more than thirty days before they manage to figure out just what money to transfer to their supplier and just how to go about it.

P.

Hi there,

Some agencies say that they assign one single day of the month to pay to their contractors. That way they get rid of the payment side of their business in one single day, instead of having to give orders to their bank everyday. Not that I defend such practice, though, but I know that's the way it works in some agencies.

Other than that, I agree with what Deborah has said.

Regards,
Jerónimo

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
They seem to need a heck of a lot of time nevertheless Dec 10, 2005

Jerónimo Fernández wrote:
Some agencies say that they assign one single day of the month to pay to their contractors. That way they get rid of the payment side of their business in one single day

Well, Dominika's prospective customer seems to postpone their studies of "proper" invoices to the end of each month and then still need thirty days from that point onwards to figure out what to do with them. This must be some heck of an assignment for their bookkeeping department. I can vividly imagine some inconspicuous, spectacled person secluding himself/herself in some attic and perusing ponderously a sheet of paper labelled "Invoice".

P.

[Edited at 2005-12-10 15:34]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

conditions of purchase

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs