Starting a Translation Agency in Romania
Thread poster: Katza
Katza
Local time: 22:03
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jul 19, 2002

Hi there, fellow translators

I know that this forum is mainly for freelancers, but it\'s the only place I could think of where I could ask for some advice.

I\'ve been working as a freelancer for more than 6 years, struggling with low rates and agencies that refused to pay the agreed upon fee, claiming it was too high (after the completion of the project, not before!!)

Anyway, I was thinking of starting my own agency, specialized in subtitling mostly. I realize that is a very difficult task, but the big question is: is it worth it?

I have some potential \"customers\" in EU and US, so at least I wouldn\'t start empty-handed.

If anyone here has some suggestions or advice as to what it takes (even legal matters) to establish a new translation company in Romania, I would be very grateful.

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Pro Lingua  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:03
German to Slovak
+ ...
What prevents you from doing it? Jul 19, 2002

If you are already a freelancer, what prevents you from doing the job of a translation service. Yes, it´s a lot more work, but ...

Kind regards

Erika

Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:03
German to English
+ ...
Why not go for it? Jul 19, 2002

I am not an agency, but have sometimes \"job overhang\", which I farm out to other PROZ fellow translators, instead of rejecting it.

You must be aware of the following:

You are not just pushing paper (or data) forward and backward. As an agency you are a contractor to both parties, which means, you are responsible to the client for quality (you need to do proofreading, which can be tough, if you work in other languages), deadlines, etc and to the translators for payment, regardless if you get your money.

If you are willing to take that risk, why not? You can make the shift slowly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting a Translation Agency in Romania

Advanced search

Translation news

Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs