Mobile menu

Translators' Right to Receive Due Credit?
Thread poster: Pavel Constantinov

Pavel Constantinov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:36
Member (2016)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Dec 11, 2005

Dear colleagues,

I have been trying for a long time already, and I cannot find any text in any major copyright convention that states translators have the right to receive the due credit for their work through recognition of their name. Is there any text like this? I would be very grateful if you can help me, because all I could find were, in a nutshell, the author's rights as opposed to the translator having almost none.

I will appreciate your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:36
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Don't know such a text. Dec 11, 2005

I would be interested to read it and hope that others know of it.

If it is a book, I would try to work out something with the author or publishing company. Mentioning of your name in the book and what your contribution was to the publication.

Good luck!
Lucinda

Bulgaria
Member (2016)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually, it's for movies Dec 11, 2005

In fact, it is not a book, it is movies...
I hope there is some text for this... the translator's work is, as all colleagues know, often underestimated or even forgotten, while it is actually a large part of the whole product. I take professional pride in my work, and I believe a translator deserves their due credit.

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:36
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Translator is the author as well Dec 11, 2005

Hi,
I don't know about any international conventions, but I'm familiar with some national legislations on copyright - the translator has the rights of the author (that includes publishing the translator's name). This is generally stated in the part of law which defines the types of works to which the law applies - translation is usually listed there (in the usually long list of creative activities).

HTH,
Magda

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:36
French to Spanish
+ ...
Hi, Pavel. Dec 11, 2005

You say "movies"... what kind? DVD, television, 35 mm...?
Sometimes, translator's name is included at the end, but never heard of a text talking about that obligation, as in books.
Anyhow, we sell our work without copyright. If the movie is a hit -partly due to our work-, we don't receive a penny more.
Why don't you have a look at:
tragroups@yahoo.com and listas@xcastro.com
They are good audiovisual translators, and good friends.
Good luck.

Bulgaria
Member (2016)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DVD movies Dec 13, 2005

Thank you Juan Jacob for replying... it is DVD movies, specifically, and I am required to leave my name out. I just wondered whether this can be avoided.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators' Right to Receive Due Credit?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs