Mobile menu

A company have a lot of 1s and a lot of 5s in the Blue Board - What would you do?
Thread poster: Jerónimo Fernández

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 22, 2005

Hi all,

I've checked the Blue Board for a company I was going to send my CV to. I have found that they have quite a few 1s and also quite a few 5s. The company have not replied to any comment (at least in the Blue Board). Their average is around 4.

I would like to know what do you do in these cases:
- Do you contact the people who rated the company with a 1?
- Do you contact the people who rated the company with a 5?

Any idea will be more than welcome.

I'd like to take this chance to wish a very happy Christmas to everybody out there!

Regards,
Jerónimo

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:41
English to German
+ ...
Talk to the members who posted; check their profiles Dec 22, 2005

Hi Jerónimo,

- Do you contact the people who rated the company with a 1?
- Do you contact the people who rated the company with a 5?

Yes on both counts; it's also a good idea to take a look at their profiles.

Best regards,
Ralf

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:41
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another idea Dec 22, 2005

I believe the postings appear chronologically in the BB. If the ones on top are low ratings you know what that means.

Best regards,

Elías

[Edited at 2005-12-22 23:33]

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
No reply can be a reply, too Dec 23, 2005

Jerónimo Fernández wrote:
The company have not replied to any comment (at least in the Blue Board)
At court, if you don't say anything, it means that anything you could say would worsen your case...

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Think about this as well! Dec 23, 2005

I have been working for quite a while for a company with a few 1s and quite a bit of 5s on the BB. I really do not know how they got the few low rates.

They are the best client I ever have worked for (I rated them a 5). Their work is interesting, steady, each time large batches of work, communication is crystal-clear and support is great, and they pay within 2 weeks. What if you only contacted the low ratings and not one like mine?

So, you really would need to contact not only the folks with the bad ratings, but also a few of the good ones as well. Otherwise you will get a skewed picture.

Success! And Happy Holidays!
Lucinda

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Partial member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Misleading 1's Dec 23, 2005

I can tell you my experience: last April I was contacted by a translation company based in NYC. They have 155 gradings in the BB and I saw a lot of 1's and 2's complaining about non-payment, payment arriving after months, need to chase payments, etc.
I almost refused to work for such a company, but then I decided to give them a try. Since then, I have been working for them on a regular basis and never had any payment problem. Sometimes payment arrives after 2 weeks, sometimes after 1 month (it depends on when they close a project), which is fine with me. I still wonder about the colleagues who complained so much.

Laura

[Edited at 2005-12-23 14:32]

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
Depends on chronology Dec 23, 2005

If 5s are on the top, the agency might have improved ever since (and probably thanks to) the poor ratings. If it's the other way around, they might have recently run into financial trouble - which would mean you should also run! But if they are randomly dispersed, that is really confusing, and you might need to contact colleagues (both those who have rated the agency low, and those with higher grades) before making your mind. This third case would be the one to make me worry most, though, because it would suggest an unstable and completely unreliable business practice.

Anyway, good luck

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 11:41
English to Russian
Geography counts too Dec 24, 2005

Elías Sauza wrote: I believe the postings appear chronologically in the BB.

Please, pay attention to the geography of freelancers. I know at least one TA present on Proz which pays well to folks in Europe and the States, a bit slow with many other countries and didn't pay quite a few of my Russian and Arab colleagues.

I used to rate them 5 but I removed my rating, mostly because they owe me a minimum fee for over a year (I did many jobs for them until I stopped accepting due to incessant 'small' problems, payment or otherwise).

HTH
Aleksandr

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everybody! Dec 24, 2005

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for sharing your point of view.

Kind regards,
Jerónimo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A company have a lot of 1s and a lot of 5s in the Blue Board - What would you do?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs