Thread poster: keshab

keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:13
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jan 11, 2006

Dear colleagues,

I have found an interesting job posting today.It is from an agency who are looking for a English>Hindi translator with experience who will meet their criteria. The list seems amazing to me.They want :
a) Work under pressure.
b) Deliver Zero Errored Files (Penalties will be applied in work does not pass our quality tests)
c) Meet the delivery dates, (Penalties will be applied in case of any delay)

We all work under pressure to meet the delivery date and time. My point is: who will judge the translator's file whether it is zero-errored or not? Besides,is it logical to penalize for error without giving opportunity to rectify any error? It looks like slavery to the feudal lords.
What do you think?

Regards,

Keshab

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Got 'em Jan 11, 2006

You have caught them making their first error.
So which penalty should apply to this?

[Edited at 2006-01-11 10:52]

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:43
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Be Critical to Job Offers Jan 11, 2006

Harry's comment is completely precise. The agency has made an error before you make it.
The criteria are clearly disadvantageous to you as the translator. You are right. With respect to delivery date, we can can determine whether it is on time or late. However, with regard to error, it is clearly partial if they themselves that serve as the assessor. In connection with working under pressure, it is fine if your proposed high rate is accepted by the agency.
It is quite fair if the agency will have a further discussion in relation to the translation with the translator and proofreader at later time. Nevertheless, if the assessment is solely conducted by the agency, just skip the offer.
Of course, you should do it politely but decisively even though you realize that their offer extremely annoys you.
Keep being professional and polite all the time and in facing whatever kind of agency.

[Edited at 2006-01-11 11:29]

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 08:43
sounds a bit fishy... Jan 11, 2006

At least they are being honest, I suppose. Personally, I would not want to work under those conditions. I'd end up doubting how to even write my own name, never mind how to translate.

I do wonder what their staff turnover is or indeed how long, on average, do they maintain penalty-free relationships with their translators?

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:43
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
Asking translators to sign up voluntarily for a beating Jan 11, 2006

keshab wrote:
The list seems amazing to me.They want :
a) Work under pressure.

Are you sure you want to work for an agency that announces even beforehand that they want to pressurize you?

It looks like slavery to the feudal lords.

Which isn't astounding. People that lack good sense on what is just and reasonable usually lack that sense in every respect. Count on it: They will offer abysmal fees too, and their payment delay will be eternally long.

Interesting? Perhaps, if you happen to like being set up in a s/m situation.

P.

[Edited at 2006-01-11 15:34]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:43
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I've always worked on pressure Jan 11, 2006

No translation is done without pressure! And I've been translating since 1987! Quality, deadlines, accuracy, terminology... all these items make pressure over your translation job.

keshab wrote:

b) Deliver Zero Errored Files

No translator can guarantee that. Besides, the quality of a translation is sometimes too subjective. It depends on who is reviewing it (will they guarantee that the best proofreader will proofread your job?)

I would not apply!

Regards

Clarisa

keshab  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, they fulfilled their criteria! Jan 11, 2006

Peter Bouillon wrote:

Count on it: They will offer abysmal fees too, and their payment delay will be eternally long.

Interesting? Perhaps, if you happen to like being set up in a s/m situation.

Yes,The document contains 50000 words and payment will be made after 45 days after the date of delivery by bank check( of course deducting the penalty for errors and time delay!).They don't mention fees but I think they will not be happy to pay the higher price.

[Edited at 2006-01-11 16:23]

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Check the Blue Board entries for the agency Jan 12, 2006

One good way of ascertaining whether the agency is genuine or not is to check what other translators who have worked for this agency have to say about it on the Blue Board. Have you done that for this agency?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Penalty for Translators

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs