outsourcers making socialid info mandatory!!?
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 03:34
English to German
+ ...
Jan 24, 2006

that was the last form I have recd. One could fill out a webform over a hyperlink and suffice the information. Now I am surprised here, this is a US company without any intention of offering a regular employment, yet they make it mandatory. Tax numbers, Canton information, Socialid etc., Oh! Additionally the transaction costs will be cut of the invoice value and the payment would be around / after 45 days. I know that the US Banks cut as much as 35-40 Dollars. Should / would a freelancer go for ... See more
that was the last form I have recd. One could fill out a webform over a hyperlink and suffice the information. Now I am surprised here, this is a US company without any intention of offering a regular employment, yet they make it mandatory. Tax numbers, Canton information, Socialid etc., Oh! Additionally the transaction costs will be cut of the invoice value and the payment would be around / after 45 days. I know that the US Banks cut as much as 35-40 Dollars. Should / would a freelancer go for it? All view are welcomed. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2006-01-24 18:12]
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:34
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
No Jan 24, 2006

And I would not. If somebody does not value my work, I cannot work with them. Full stop.

Ines

Abdellatif Bouhid
Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:34
English to French
+ ...
No confidential personal info unless required by law Jan 24, 2006

As far as I know, the only thing they need is to prove is to the IRS that you are not a resident of the US. This exempts them from retaining any deductions at source. There is a form from the IRS they have to send you which you return filled and signed.

The form is called W8 Certificate of Foreign Status.

[Edited at 2006-01-24 21:17]

[Edited at 2006-01-24 21:18]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

outsourcers making socialid info mandatory!!?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »