Permanent requests by unwanted agency
Thread poster: Stephanie Wloch

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:34
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Jan 25, 2006

There are some agencies you don't want to work with. You have never shown them your willingness for cooperation (application) either. After rejecting for the second time, next time you decide to ask them if they want to remove your data out of the database.
8 days after that they are still sending you another request for quotation!
I feel it now coming across as a kind of spam.
How do you deal with it?

Kind regards
Steffi

Direct link Reply with quote

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Be very direct or simply filter/ignore Jan 25, 2006

next time you decide to ask them if they want to remove your data out of the database

You will probably have to be more direct: Please don't contact me anymore. I am not interested in working with you.

Otherwise I would just blacklist their address in my spam filter (assuming they contact you via email) or, short of that, simply ignore their requests. Or is the problem that they're phoning you up night and day?

Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
Ignoring works well for you but Jan 25, 2006

Michele Johnson wrote:
Or is the problem that they're phoning you up night and day?

No, but by ignoring the mails, maybe they will find that a good idea.

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Heavy handed, but .... Jan 25, 2006

isn't this what the various data protection laws in all EU countries are supposed to protect against?

I have a friend who works in direct marketting for a serious company, an he assures me that the laws governing the use of your contact information and your right to have your data modified/removed are quite powerful.

Maybe you don't want to go to the extent of reporting them to the data register for their country, but the threat might work.

Cheers.

Sandy

Fred Neild  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spams Jan 25, 2006

Tuliparola wrote:

How do you deal with it?

Hi Steffi

Try spamcop.com or similar, and report this spam practice.

You may wish to warn the agency first about this, i.e. you will report their unsolicited requests as spam and they will be subject to black lists, etc.

Fred

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Spam Filter Jan 25, 2006

I know such an agency, too. I told them if they continued to send me their inappropriate offers, I would add them to my spam filter. They continued, and I added them.
I don't think they will ever start to phone me, because this would need an effort on their side and this is exactly what they are trying to avoid by spamming..

Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
TOPIC STARTER
Data protection - was bothering me too Jan 26, 2006

Alexander Chisholm wrote:
that the laws governing the use of your contact information and your right to have your data modified/removed are quite powerful.
Maybe you don't want to go to the extent of reporting them to the data register for their country, but the threat might work.

Very good point, Sandy!:-)
Especially because the agency settles in Austria, where they recently introduced more vigorous measures against spamming even in the business area.
Have a nice spamfree day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Permanent requests by unwanted agency

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs