Thread poster: Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:00
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Overall issues Jan 31, 2006

RobinB wrote:

There is a myth in some sections of the translator community that translators outside any specific EU country have an advantage over translators within that EU country because the former don't charge VAT on the face of their invoice. This is completely irrelevant, for the reasons I explained above. The question of whether you charge VAT on the face of your invoice will never affect your chances of business from corporate clients or (unless they're breaking the law) agencies.

This is interesting because I was under that exact impression.

3) As a freelance in Germany, you are not subject to any social security payments whatsoever. Health insurance and pension arrangements are entirely up to you. Note, though, that any U.S. pension arrangements in place will not be portable to Germany.

I don't plan to retire in Germany--at least not at this point anyway. I would probably continue to invest in my retirement accounts here if I am allowed to.

4) Do not expect to get an immediate work permit allowing you to work on a self-employed basis, unless of course you are an EU national, in which case it isn't a problem at all.

I think that as a spouse of a German national I can legally work--self-employed or otherwise. At least that was the case the last time we lived in Germany (although we only lived there for 6 months though).

5) Although U.S. citizens are taxable on their worldwide income, the U.S.-German DTA rules out double taxation in the vast majority of cases. You'll have to file annually with the IRS, but you can assume that you won't have to pay any U.S. tax.

Yes, that was my understanding unless income is over 80,000.

6) Overall, Germany has one of the most liberal regimes worldwide for freelance translators. It's worth taking advantage of if you have the opportunity.
It is nice to hear some positive things about it. Thanks.

Robin

Sonya Gerisch
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Unable to contact you offline Jan 31, 2006

Bohy,
I am unable to contact you directly. Your email host is rejecting my email address ([email protected]). I know that Verizon blocked entire countries at one time last year and it was a big hassle for me. In response, some countries and individual providers decided to block all Verizon emails. I think that may be the case here. If so, you need to contact your provider and have them put my email address on your safe list.

Sonya Gerisch
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 2, 2006

Thank you to everyone who contacted me and provided input on this subject in the forum. The information is invaluable.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:00
German to English
+ ...
Location, location, location... Feb 17, 2006

You may also find that as a German to English translator based in Germany you have some advantages with European clients because of the time zone change and other factors. Furthermore, word rates in Germany do generally seem to be better than what I see in the US these days. So you may not be looking at a big income hit after all.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancing in US vs. Germany

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »