Thread poster: Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:38
German to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2006

I have done patent translations for the same lawyer via the same agency before. There haven't been any problems or misfeelings or any other negative vibes before. The PM is terrific.

After I submitted my latest patent translation, there was a request for a certificate of accuracy. No problem I said, why wouldn't I sign for the obvious quality of any patent application, or any translation for that matter?

Well, I had asked for some clarifications with regard to the origi
... See more
I have done patent translations for the same lawyer via the same agency before. There haven't been any problems or misfeelings or any other negative vibes before. The PM is terrific.

After I submitted my latest patent translation, there was a request for a certificate of accuracy. No problem I said, why wouldn't I sign for the obvious quality of any patent application, or any translation for that matter?

Well, I had asked for some clarifications with regard to the original text, just to be 100% certain. So, maybe they had misinterpreted the request. Then I got a second version of the claims section with a request to translate it "from scratch". There were no answers to my requests for clarifications.

Patent translators know about inventors and their language skills, which are often completely absent. In this case, there were no spelling errors, but the sentences were often structured in the strangest of ways, even for a patent.

My trouble-smelling antenna picked up trouble!

Things got worse: The patent lawyer never answered my requests for clarifications, the second version of the claims section was a linguistic disaster - and now the lawyer wants the certificate of accuracy for the patent application with the first, discarded version of the claims section.

Would you trust the patent lawyer? Would you add any disclaimers to a standard certificate of accuracy?

I would be grateful if you could share your experience in this matter. This is the first time I hesitate providing a certificate of accuracy!

Thank you very much,

Ursula

[Edited at 2006-01-30 21:54]
Collapse

Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
On patent translation Jan 30, 2006

Hi Ursula,

I am a patent attorney, registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and an ATA-certified EN>ES translator. I have my two-person Intellectual Property law firm in Greenville, South Carolina, and I am also a freelance EN>ES translator. Thus, I write patent applications (in English) and translate them (mainly, but not exclusively, to Spanish), a combo that is relatively easy to schedule. As a translator, having a PhD in Chemical Engineering, I translate main
... See more
Hi Ursula,

I am a patent attorney, registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and an ATA-certified EN>ES translator. I have my two-person Intellectual Property law firm in Greenville, South Carolina, and I am also a freelance EN>ES translator. Thus, I write patent applications (in English) and translate them (mainly, but not exclusively, to Spanish), a combo that is relatively easy to schedule. As a translator, having a PhD in Chemical Engineering, I translate mainly patent applications in the chemical and pharmaceutical "arts." As a patent attorney, having a two-person law firm, I usually, but not always, write patent applications for "better mousetraps."

First, let me clarify some misunderstandings of yours. Yes, indeed, inventors are not, as a general rule, linguistic-gifted persons. They know how things work, not how to explain it in words. Yet, also as a general rule, patent applications, in the U.S. at least, are written by patent attorneys who are lawyers whose undergraduate degrees are in the Science and Engineering areas. At a minimum, these applications are written by patent agents, engineers and scientists who have passed an examination prepared by the USPTO and, by their practice, know how to write. By and large, these individuals, patent attorneys and agents, have some special abilities, mainly the ability to use both sides of the brain. They can understand how things work and know how to explain that in words. If a patent application was not prepared by the inventor him/herself, there is no excuse about the writing. And, usually, inventors do not write their own patent applications.

Also, the claims section is usually modified during prosecution, as a give and take between the Patent Examiner, representing the USPTO and the general public, and the inventor's attorney. The inventor, through his or her attorney or agent, makes the claims as broad as possible. The Examiner forces the attorney or agent to do a reality check and to reduce the scope of the claims. It would be unlikely, and certainly risky, that the inventor writes the amendments to the claims.

Thus, it is not surprising that you have been asked to translate two sets of claims. They (the end-clients) may, by mistake, have sent you the original claims, as filed, and realizing their mistake, now they are asking you to translate, de novo, the new and final claims after being prosecuted in one country, so the patent application, originally filed in one country, can be filed in another, under the PCT rules.

You call the new claims a linguistic disaster. That may, or may not, be the case. I have seen, on these forums, a patent translator asking if he/she could divide a single long sentence in the claims section into two or more sentences. This approach, always very reasonable, in general translation, is a no-no in patent translation. As i am sure you know, each claim must be a single sentence. Only one period is allowed, per the USPTO rules. Thus, a "linguistic disaster" may be something that it is the result of the rules and the give and take that occurs during prosecution. Patent attorneys are forced to add elements to a claim to get that claim allowed.

Of course, I can't tell you for sure, without looking at the specific situation you are facing. And you might not be able to tell me because of the confidentiality agreement I am sure you signed before even seeing the document.

I would be glad to tell you whether the linguistic disaster is such a disaster, but have in mind that I can find in the USPTO database the document you are translating, if it has been published and you copy just a few words of the text.

In short, I don't know whether you have enough reasons to suspect some hanky-panky. In general, patent attorneys are not out to catch mistranslations but, certainly, they would not want to file them.

Please, contact me directly, if you need any help, always subject to your ability to tell others what you are translating.

Best,

Luis

[Edited at 2006-01-30 23:58]
Collapse

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:38
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You! Jan 31, 2006

I am so glad you replied!

So far, I have never had any reason to deal with such questions. I certainly did not know that the claims would be negotiated. It is good to know those details, it is even better to avoid "misunderstandings".

I am a scientist. Naturally, I approached the topic "patents" in "theoretical" terms(types of patents, rules, etc.).

I feel perfectly at ease now about the certificate of accuracy and the different versions for the claims sec
... See more
I am so glad you replied!

So far, I have never had any reason to deal with such questions. I certainly did not know that the claims would be negotiated. It is good to know those details, it is even better to avoid "misunderstandings".

I am a scientist. Naturally, I approached the topic "patents" in "theoretical" terms(types of patents, rules, etc.).

I feel perfectly at ease now about the certificate of accuracy and the different versions for the claims section.

(The 'linguistic disaster'refers to sentences with more than one possible meaning in both languages. - not good in any patent application!)

Thank you so much for taking out the time for your very helpful comments,

Ursula
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certificate for a Patent Translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »