Doubt about agency
Thread poster: Angela&Claudio

Angela&Claudio
Italy
Local time: 18:10
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 6, 2006

Can anybody help me? I worked on a small project for an agency, and delivered it around a month ago.
It was my first project with them and I had been given instructions to contact my project manager if I had any problems with terms, I did but got no reply. After several times trying to contact unsuccessfully this PM and other contacts within the agency and coming close to the delivery date, I solved my problem the best I could and then delivered the translation.
Now the payment due date has passed and I still get no reply at all.
The thing is that in the Blue Board there are only good comments about this outsourcer.
What should I do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Did you call them already? Feb 6, 2006

AngelaMaria wrote:

Can anybody help me? I worked on a small project for an agency, and delivered it around a month ago.
It was my first project with them and I had been given instructions to contact my project manager if I had any problems with terms, I did but got no reply. After several times trying to contact unsuccessfully this PM and other contacts within the agency and coming close to the delivery date, I solved my problem the best I could and then delivered the translation.
Now the payment due date has passed and I still get no reply at all.
The thing is that in the Blue Board there are only good comments about this outsourcer.
What should I do?

Hi Angela,

It's certainly not polite not to send any reply to you (and to me this is usually a sign that something is wrong, be it on the organisational or financial level).

But did you already call the agency?
Speaking to someone may certainly help.

Other than that, while I agree that many outsourcers could learn a thing or two when it comes to respecting payment terms (some simply don't understand we don't run a bank), 30-45 days is certainly not uncommon in our (and many other) sector(s). This doesn't mean you should simply accept that (I certainly don't), but I see no reason to get overly worried right now.

If they still don't reply after you called them, I'd send them a reminder by registered letter. And would then take it from there.

Keep well and good luck!

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
acknowledgement? Feb 6, 2006

Hi Angela,

I'm afraid it doesn't smell nice to me...
Did they acknowledge your translation? Did you ring them about your queries and for confirmation of reception (if they hadn't)?
I wouldn't let a delivery go unconfirmed. If they didn't reply by email, give them a ring asap. You should never wait until it's pay time to find out (btw, I ask for payment up front to first time clients).

Hope things turn out right
Grace.

kumakun
English
registered post Feb 7, 2006

Having worked in the business of debt collection (though never in the translation business...yet), my best advice would be to call them first to set a deadline for payment.
Then send a letter by registered post with acknowledgement of receipt.
A follow-up call should do it.
If not, send a letter warning you shall seek legal guidance in order to recover the debt, talk about a late payment penalty of 10%...
If the letter is "threatening" enough you should get what you want....If your agency is a real agency that is.

Angela&Claudio
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Graciela and Moderator Feb 7, 2006

Well, they finally got back to me saying they'll sort it out.
But after all this time trying to reach them with no success, I wonder how come they have so many 5s in the BB... (or is this the first time they've had difficulties handling things?)...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Doubt about agency

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs