Mobile menu

How to find out private clients wishing to translate their sites
Thread poster: nic

nic  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:07
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 7, 2006

I have been always working with agencies and doing marketing mails directed to them. Now I would like to broaden my field of activity aiming at private clients wishing to translate their sites. Any suggestion? Thanks
Nicola Cafiero

Direct link Reply with quote

Adaptrans
Egypt
Local time: 20:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
A suggestion! Feb 7, 2006

Dear Nicola,
you can search yellow pages of every and each country or even the commercial sites (you can find it using Google or dogpile search engines).
Try also to use the benefits of "submit a free site"to spread over.
Wish you the best of Luck
Adaptrans Arabic Translations

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:37
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
My need too Feb 8, 2006

This is exactly what I too have been wanting to do -- directly work for companies who want their web sites localized into my target language. It would be much more paying that way.

Although I haven't got around to implementing it, this is the idea that I way toying with.

Find out about foreign companies that are doing business in your area. They may be car companies, banks, consumer products companies, electronics goods makers, etc. etc. If possible find out the person in charge of marketing or for maintaining the web site of this company and write to him. You should be in a position to convince them that you have the required technical capability to take up a localization project.

Localization of web sites is a much more challenging job than just translating the textual content into another languge. In addition, you should also know a fairly good bit of web site technologies like HTML, PHP, JavaScript, Flash, XML, and database programming, as most professional websites use quite a bit of these technologies and more.

If you do not have a technical background in these areas, it will be helpful to team up with someone who has such a background.

E.LA
Spanish to German
+ ...
time spending issue Feb 12, 2006

It is a lot of work before you get the real translation work. If you offer yourself to enterprises, some will react and ask you: "How much does it cost to translate my webside?" Then you have the work of counting and elaborating your offer etc. etc, and only few works will come up.

That means: perhaps you get a little bit more money from a direct client, but you also have more work - will say, at the end it is the same as working for an agency.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:07
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Marketing time has its price Feb 17, 2006

E.LA wrote:

... perhaps you get a little bit more money from a direct client, but you also have more work - will say, at the end it is the same as working for an agency.

Very, very true. I enjoy the direct customers I have a lot, but on the whole I prefer to work with competent project managers at an agency. I think of these people as a good marketing department that I don't have to make monthly payroll for. Putting together a bid for a large project can take a *lot* of time, and unless you enjoy doing it or are very good at it, in the end you'll profit more by developing a good partnership with a "pro" who does does it every day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find out private clients wishing to translate their sites

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs