Going on holiday during project. Should I share my TM with my replacement?
Thread poster: Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 21:31
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 31, 2002

Some of you must have had to face such a problem. I have been working, since November last year, on an on-going project. I am going to take a 3-week vacation soon, and chances are that there would be additional files tobe translated during my absence.

First of all, I need to find a reliable translator to fill the gap during this time. My bigger concern is what to do with the very valuable translation memory that I have developed (250,000+ words) in the course of this project. In fact,
... See more
Some of you must have had to face such a problem. I have been working, since November last year, on an on-going project. I am going to take a 3-week vacation soon, and chances are that there would be additional files tobe translated during my absence.

First of all, I need to find a reliable translator to fill the gap during this time. My bigger concern is what to do with the very valuable translation memory that I have developed (250,000+ words) in the course of this project. In fact, due to the large overlap between individual files, translating the texts without using the TM would seriously damage consistency with existing texts.

What would you do in such a case? Give out your prized TM to another translator? Or tell the client to hold the files till you come back?
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Notebook would be my solution! Jul 31, 2002

I would take my notebook with me (yes, it is vacation too - I would not have to glare at my big 21\" CRT, but work instead with a smart 14\" TFT...), but I would NEVER give such a TM to anybody else!

Just my two cents

Jerzy

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
This is your work alone Aug 1, 2002

Dear Csaba,

It sounds to me as if you are working on something major that you have become very closely involved with, that is your work alone and nobody else can really help with at this stage. I feel certain that the client should understand this and hold the files until you come back.

As you need the holiday, and a break from your project, I do not think it a good idea to take any work with you either.

Astrid

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
I would discuss it with your client Aug 1, 2002

i.e.: you are entitled to have your holiday - it will mean also fresh energies for when you come back; the client is entitled to your services, if you have committed yourself to such a demanding and important job. If the client really thinks he might need something urgent during these three weeks, he would be pleased to know that you can still be reached with your mobile and you can work with your laptop - but it must be really urgent, whatever can be postponed will have to wait till you come ba... See more
i.e.: you are entitled to have your holiday - it will mean also fresh energies for when you come back; the client is entitled to your services, if you have committed yourself to such a demanding and important job. If the client really thinks he might need something urgent during these three weeks, he would be pleased to know that you can still be reached with your mobile and you can work with your laptop - but it must be really urgent, whatever can be postponed will have to wait till you come back. To involve a colleague now seems to me the worst solution, because if you have not worked together since the beginning the difference in style would always be felt, even if he had access to your TM, and a poor result would be negative for all of you, client, colleague and yourself.

Have a nice vacation!

Gilda

Collapse

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your comments Aug 1, 2002

Well, in principle I could be taking along a notebook, but normally I take holidays to places that are not really \"wired\". This time for example I will go bakpacking to the South Caucasus, i.e. Georgia and Armenia. Taking along a notebook would be a solution if I rented a small villa in Southern France (for example) for a couple of weeks, just enjoying great wine and cheese.

I iwll try to convinec my client to hold back the files till I come back. (I am not sure how they would do thi
... See more
Well, in principle I could be taking along a notebook, but normally I take holidays to places that are not really \"wired\". This time for example I will go bakpacking to the South Caucasus, i.e. Georgia and Armenia. Taking along a notebook would be a solution if I rented a small villa in Southern France (for example) for a couple of weeks, just enjoying great wine and cheese.

I iwll try to convinec my client to hold back the files till I come back. (I am not sure how they would do this, as usually they produce multilingual manuals that need to be typeset and printed).
Collapse

kbamert
kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
I would take a two month's holiday later on Aug 1, 2002

Olga Simon
Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
Try to convince them to wait for you and insist on proofreading when you get back Aug 1, 2002

By now you have almost become an in-house translator for them, no? If they love the job you are doing (which I am sure they do) they\'ll wait.

It\'s August, anyway. Everyone is entitled to vacation.

I would not share my TM.

Another solution - your Client can use someone else as a translator on condition that you act as a proofreader when you get back (of course you will get paid for your proofreading).

Where exactly are you going?
... See more
By now you have almost become an in-house translator for them, no? If they love the job you are doing (which I am sure they do) they\'ll wait.

It\'s August, anyway. Everyone is entitled to vacation.

I would not share my TM.

Another solution - your Client can use someone else as a translator on condition that you act as a proofreader when you get back (of course you will get paid for your proofreading).

Where exactly are you going? If you happen to be anywhere close to the Riza lake - go and visit it- at least 18 years ago when I was there it was unbelievably beautiful.

En is epp most vissza jottem vakaciobol. De jo volt, Istenem, nem igaz...

Neked is jo nyaralast kivanok!

Olga.
Collapse

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:31
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

find someone AND ask the client's to wait Aug 2, 2002

Quote:

What would you do in such a case? Give out your prized TM to another translator? Or tell the client to hold the files till you come back?

Dear Csaba,

I would try to go for a compromise, that is 1) find a reliable translator, 2) ask the client if they could wait 3 weeks, 3) do *not* give out your precious TM but, instead, proof-read everything your colleague had done in your a... See more
Quote:

Dear Csaba,

I would try to go for a compromise, that is 1) find a reliable translator, 2) ask the client if they could wait 3 weeks, 3) do *not* give out your precious TM but, instead, proof-read everything your colleague had done in your absence, make sure it is consistent with the terminology, and only then deliver. This way, you don\'t have to worry about either the quality of the job(s) done in your absence or your TM, and the client gets the usual quality.

My two fillér..

Szia,

Ildikó ▲ Collapse

Marna Renteria
Marna Renteria  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:31
Spanish to English
What is meant by "my" TM? Apr 1, 2009

Here enters the argument about who 'owns' translation memory. Your question suggests that you do not have an agreement with the client that the translation memory belongs to them. I can't see how another trasnlator would use the TM for another client. I say do what is best for the client.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
find a reliable colleague Apr 2, 2009

... for cases like this you really need to have one or two fellow translators you can trust, both in terms of the quality of their work and confidentiality of the materials.
If I were in your shoes I'd probably talk this over with the client - who would say they are not at all happy about the prospect of waiting for me to return - and then take a deep breath and give the TM to the best candidate that I can find.

Susan van den Ende
Susan van den Ende  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
What's your agreement with the agency? Apr 2, 2009

As an outsourcer, I usually agree up front with our translators that they deliver their translations uncleaned (proofreaders tend to appreciate that), or that they at least also provide a TM.

One of the reasons that end clients work with agencies is that they provide consistency and continuity. This means that if you leave on a holiday, I will find a colleague to help out, so that your holiday does not interrupt our services to the client. The agency, your colleague, and the client
... See more
As an outsourcer, I usually agree up front with our translators that they deliver their translations uncleaned (proofreaders tend to appreciate that), or that they at least also provide a TM.

One of the reasons that end clients work with agencies is that they provide consistency and continuity. This means that if you leave on a holiday, I will find a colleague to help out, so that your holiday does not interrupt our services to the client. The agency, your colleague, and the client are helped by the work in your TM. This means that the client will come back to the agency, and they will come back to you. In my book, that's "mutually beneficial cooperation", and it works especially well with large ongoing projects.

In general: in some cases I'm willing to work with translators who don't provide a TM, but I've more than once found myself cursing under my breath when a follow-up job came in that would have had a high match percentage, or one where the concordance function would have been great for all the client-specific terminology.

That said, I can understand your position as well. Your reseach, skills and knowledge went into this TM, and of course they make up one of "your unique selling points" by now that you would not want to lose.

Your posting implies that you didn't agree with the agency that you would supply them with your TM. If you didn't, and if you simply don't want to supply it, that's your good right. Don't send it, and let them figure out what to do with the client's work during your absence. That is, after all, part of their job. If they didn't prepare for that part of their job by negotiating TM access, well, tough luck for them perhaps, and maybe they'll think twice next time before they take on a large ongoing project without thinking ahead.

But: do realise that it's also tough luck for the end client?

Of course the whole problem is solved if they can provide you with a deadline stretch, by the way. Aim for that first, I'd say. Who knows, maybe there's no rush at all and you'll be able to enjoy your holiday, knowing that you'll have some nice projects lined up when you return?

Susan

(spring brings out the optimist in me)
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
obsolete question Apr 2, 2009

dear colleagues,

Thank you for your recent input... Please look at the date of the original posting. I started this thread almost 7 (seven) years ago!!

Since then I became a family man with two little toddlers, and I'm not taking extensive breaks from work just to travel in remote places. I do travel within Europe, but always with a notebook, and always staying in places where there's secure internet. In fact, in the past 6 years I haven't spent a single day without bei
... See more
dear colleagues,

Thank you for your recent input... Please look at the date of the original posting. I started this thread almost 7 (seven) years ago!!

Since then I became a family man with two little toddlers, and I'm not taking extensive breaks from work just to travel in remote places. I do travel within Europe, but always with a notebook, and always staying in places where there's secure internet. In fact, in the past 6 years I haven't spent a single day without being online at least for a short time.... too bad, but that's the reality.

Csaba
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Curiosity Apr 2, 2009

Do you remember what you did in the end in this case, Csaba? Did you share your TM, or did the client agree to wait until you got back?

We need closure!

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
can't remember Apr 2, 2009

I can't remember what the project was. What I do remember though is that I went backpacking for three weeks and went to public internet cafés only once a week or so.
(I remember doing a short job right there in an internet café in Yerevan, Armenia.)

Most probably I did not share my TM.

csaba

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Going on holiday during project. Should I share my TM with my replacement?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »