How much to charge an agency for testing potential translators?
Thread poster: Gerardo Bensi
Gerardo Bensi
Gerardo Bensi  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 17, 2006

I'm an Argentine freelance translator. One of the Argentine agencies I work for asked me to assess a new potential translator. I gave the applicant two texts of between 312 / 340 words, one to translate into English and another one into Spanish. Both texts were technical (IT - Oil & Gas). I have not seen the translations yet; the applicant is due to e-mail them in two days.

The agency wants to know how much I will charge them for this assessment service. Do you have any idea of wha
... See more
I'm an Argentine freelance translator. One of the Argentine agencies I work for asked me to assess a new potential translator. I gave the applicant two texts of between 312 / 340 words, one to translate into English and another one into Spanish. Both texts were technical (IT - Oil & Gas). I have not seen the translations yet; the applicant is due to e-mail them in two days.

The agency wants to know how much I will charge them for this assessment service. Do you have any idea of what the standard rates for this are? I would appreciate any comments.

Thank you very much.
Gerardo
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:07
Italian to English
+ ...
Do they want you to revise the translations? Feb 17, 2006

I asssume you have a good relationship with the agency: I did the same thing recently for one of my clients, and just charged them for the revision.

If they're not asking you to revise the translation, I'd charge them depending on how long it takes you to assess it - or if it's a very good client, I wouldn't charge them anything at all.

Gerardo Bensi
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 17, 2006

Mary-Helene:
Thanks for your advice; yes, I'm supposed to revise the translations; I had thought of chargin per hour.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Gerardo

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'd say by the hour Feb 17, 2006

Hola Gerardo.

If they wanted me to revise, assess and make a little report about the translation, I'd charge per hour.

Éxito,
Jerónimo

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:07
Russian to English
+ ...
Deal with the financial aspect first Feb 18, 2006

The comments that others have made are very good. However, the next time this happens, you should handle this in advance. It should be clear what they want you to do. (e.g., do they want you merely to highlight the mispelled words or correct the spelling as well?) and how much is to be paid. (They aren't going to be too happy if you submit a bill for five hours work to revise these two tests, but I imagine that before you did that, you'd send a message back to your client along the lines of ... See more
The comments that others have made are very good. However, the next time this happens, you should handle this in advance. It should be clear what they want you to do. (e.g., do they want you merely to highlight the mispelled words or correct the spelling as well?) and how much is to be paid. (They aren't going to be too happy if you submit a bill for five hours work to revise these two tests, but I imagine that before you did that, you'd send a message back to your client along the lines of "this person is not very good. Shall I redo it?") They may propose a flat fee. That can be negotiated.Collapse

Gerardo Bensi
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2006

Hello, Paul.
Thanks for your comments, I find them very useful. It was clear from the beginning that I was only supposed to assess the translations. Charging per hour seems to be the best thing to do.

Regards,
Gerardo

Gerardo Bensi
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2006

Hi, Jerónimo.
Thanks for replying. That's what I think I'll do.

Éxitos para ti también.

Gerardo

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:37
English to Hindi
+ ...
my experience Feb 19, 2006

There is this agency... we had never worked earlier. They contacted me to evaluate one of their translator and while they asked me to evaluate their translator, what they were actually doing was to test me!! And they are paying me 20 Euro per hour and I need to bill them for 2 hours.

Also, their conditions and terms state that they would pay bank charges their side for the international transfer to India.

Now, that is being truly professional.

KudoZ to this
... See more
There is this agency... we had never worked earlier. They contacted me to evaluate one of their translator and while they asked me to evaluate their translator, what they were actually doing was to test me!! And they are paying me 20 Euro per hour and I need to bill them for 2 hours.

Also, their conditions and terms state that they would pay bank charges their side for the international transfer to India.

Now, that is being truly professional.

KudoZ to this company.

Roomy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge an agency for testing potential translators?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »