Should I give the Memory of Trados to agency?
Thread poster: lubei
lubei
lubei
Local time: 18:29
Italian to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 4, 2006

An agency asked me to do the translatione with TRADOS and then to deliver the job with the memory. It's the first time that I get this request, should I give them the Memory?Thx a lot.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:29
Dutch to English
+ ...
Standard Mar 4, 2006

Hi,

This question has been asked a number of times.

The agency's request is quite standard.

Two things:

1. If you've accepted the job, i.e. to do it in Trados and return the TM/uncleaned file - you are already contractually bound to do so.

2. If you've not yet accepted the job and this is putting you off, bear in mind that even if you don't return the TM/uncleaned file - all the agency has to do if you've used Trados or a compati
... See more
Hi,

This question has been asked a number of times.

The agency's request is quite standard.

Two things:

1. If you've accepted the job, i.e. to do it in Trados and return the TM/uncleaned file - you are already contractually bound to do so.

2. If you've not yet accepted the job and this is putting you off, bear in mind that even if you don't return the TM/uncleaned file - all the agency has to do if you've used Trados or a compatible CAT tool is to align the source file and your translated file, using Win Align and it can create its own TM that way.

It just takes them longer to that, that's all.

Hope this helps to clarify things
Debbie

[Edited at 2006-03-04 20:02]
Collapse

lubei
lubei
Italian to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you very much! Mar 5, 2006

Hi,
Thank you very much for your precious help.

Best .
Bei

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Give them what they asked for initially Mar 5, 2006

lubei wrote:
An agency asked me to do the translatione with Trados and then to deliver the job with the memory. ...should I give them the memory?

If the original agreement was that you provide them with the translation and the memory, then what they're paying for obviously includes the memory. It is not strange for the agency to ask for the memory... but on the other hand, if the translation is in uncleaned format, they could simply generate the memory themselves. So basically you're saving them some time. If you use one memory for multiple clients, then naturally you'd have to distill that particular client's TUs from the TM before delivering it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I give the Memory of Trados to agency?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »