Power of Attorney Translation
Thread poster: Stacey Wilcox
Stacey Wilcox
Local time: 14:58
Spanish to English
Mar 13, 2006

Hi everyone

I am hoping someone can help me.
I started working freelance about 5 months ago and have just had an enquiry from a direct client about translating his fathers power of attorney regarding his property in Spain. It is 2 pages long, though as I realize I have little experience in this field, I am over the moon about finally having some work in. As the clients lives locally, he is delivering the copy to me later on today, so I haven't seen it yet.
How does someone go about translating this? Do I need to get it certified or will a signed copy from myself be sufficient?
Really, what I'm saying is that any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

(a rather apprehensive) Stacey

Direct link Reply with quote

Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:58
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
patience Mar 13, 2006

Dear Stacey:

One matter of a time: Does the client need it certified or stamped in any manner? Most power of attorney I have done are unofficial. Ask. If certified, the client must find a notory.

Second, each and every power of attorney is different. However, they do share certain expressions. Find a power of attorney form on the internet in the target language, maybe even two or three different ones. As you translate it, look for "pretranslated" standard formulas to make your life easier.

Third, make a record of where this translation is so the next one will much easier.

Good luck,

Stephen Rifkind
Hebrew/Russian/French to English

Local time: 10:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
certification etc. Mar 13, 2006

Depending on the relationship between your client and his father, and the purpose for which the translation is being made, it may be possible to circumvent the need for certification (if indeed there is such a need) by having the translation signed by the father. Of course, if the father is deceased, that's no good ...).

Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Notarisation in the UK Mar 13, 2006

Hi Stacey,
Congratulations on getting some work! Most of these POA documents are fairly standard and so, as Stephen suggests, have a look at a few English versions available on-line to get a gist of how it should sound/look once translated. I also strongly suspect that you'll find a lot of the phrases/terms you will be looking for in the Kudoz glossary.

About getting the document certified/stamped, this is not usually required in the UK. I've never even been asked to certify any of the POAs that I've translated and I've only ever been asked once to get a document officially stamped - which requires going to a commissioner for oaths and swearing an affidavit in their office. If this is required, remember to include the fees for this in your own fee. It is best to ask your client exactly what they require - it may just be for their own records. In most cases in the UK, signed certification by the translator is sufficient if such a thing is required, but for POAs it generally isn't.

Good luck! Aisha

[Edited at 2006-03-14 09:12]

Stacey Wilcox
Spanish to English
Thanks Mar 13, 2006

Thank you for all the advice.

As I've been told, the clients father owned a house in Spain though passed away several months ago. He's trying to sell the house now though lawyers here understandably, won't touch it as the power of attorney is in Spanish...

Again, many thanks

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just a thought Mar 13, 2006

Has your client checked to see if the power of attorney would still be valid even though the principal is deceased? It would be a good idea to do so.

Whatever the answer, the situation should still give rise to some interesting translation business.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Power of Attorney Translation

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs