Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:00
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Mar 15, 2006

Hello,

A client has sent me some manuals embedded in several emails, one manual per email. I copied each manual in a different word file. But when I was editing the manuals I realized that some of them are copied on the email up to four times, the whole manuals. I thought this was a minor mistake and that I could just remove the repeated text.

The problems is that the 'repetitions' (I mean the entire manuals) are not exactly the same. Some paragraphs are added or cut off in each 'repetition', but it's really difficult to keep track of what's different in each repetition.

I told my client about this and he told me to keep the same text exact and that I could just copy the same translation over and over again. Now, that won't really be necessary since I use Trados, but I have no idea how to charge.

Do I apply my rates for fuzzy matches? Some 'repetitions' are exactly the same and some are not. And not all the manuals show this problem. It doesn't feel right to charge more than once practically for the same document, but revising all the manuals would take me hours that I don't plan to work for free.

How should I charge for this?

Thanks,
Claudia

Edit. I forgot to say that counting the words would also be a problem.

[Edited at 2006-03-15 20:08]

Direct link Reply with quote

Shanie Ste-Marie  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:00
English to French
Charge full rate Mar 15, 2006

Hello,

If my client is not expecting me to use Trados or Wordfast, I charge the full rate, even 100% matches. If you didn't have Trados, it would be time consuming to cut and paste. So consider this a bonus. If you start to offer discounts, they will be expected every thime.
We do have to pay for our software and it seems like it will be time consuming to review anyway. I wouldn't be ashame to charge full rate, that's what your client is expecting (of course, there might be some details that I am not aware of that could make you think otherwise). This is just a tip!

Good luck!

Shanie

Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:00
French to English
+ ...
Another Approach Mar 15, 2006

First off, I should say you have acted quite admirably by bringing this to your client's attention. One way to approach this would be to charge the amount of time it takes to cut and paste and make minor adjustments (which add up) on the basis of some hourly rate. At the end of the day, though, you should be appropriately compensated for your time and effort, and your client should expect as much.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 01:00
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I second the suggestion... Mar 15, 2006

namely do not worry about repeats and near repeats etc, just charge what it's worth.

Have you ever heard about a cab driver, who charged less for having a car (and not dragging a riksha)? We're getting the client from X to Y, and that's what you will do, TRADOS or no TRADOS.

smo

[Edited at 2006-03-15 21:46]

Portalkata
Indonesia
Local time: 06:00
Member (2006)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Spirit support from me :) Mar 16, 2006

Very exactly same experience I ever have! It is also poorly when the client you work for is very "selfish" and “smart”, right? Before you set your charge, I suggest refreshing the agreement first between you and your client. Simply choose being a human resource exploited or set the worth rate. Let your client understand the real mutual beneficial business relationship. Good luck!

Siti Nur Aryani

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:00
German to English
+ ...
Charge them Mar 16, 2006

I have to agree with my colleagues above: If the client says to charge them for it, then charge them for it. I wouldn't go slashing my margin, if I didn't absolutely need to do so.

I can't tell you how often stuff repeats itself in my translations, especially in appeals where the attorneys just repeat their original arguments (contained in the attachments) in the hopes that the 'new' judge will see it differently this time around.

Most of the time, my clients don't even know what TRADOS is and I don't think that I necessarily have to inform them (unless they ask). In fact, I think it is up to the client to prepare the document for translating; I translate what the client gives me. The client is more than welcome to delete/mark everything that shouldn't be translated (in my experience, they are usually either too busy or lazy to do it). Otherwise, I'm going to translate every last mark (and charge them for it too).

This is, however, just my personal opinion.

[Edited at 2006-03-16 11:52]

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:00
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ditto Mar 16, 2006

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

In fact, I think it is up to the client to prepare the document for translating; I translate what the client gives me. The client is more than welcome to delete/mark everything that shouldn't be translated (in my experience, they are usually either too busy or lazy to do it). Otherwise, I'm going to translate every last mark (and charge them for it too).

We lawyers think alike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I charge?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs