Bidding: through ProZ.com or directly ?
Thread poster: Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 03:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 26, 2001

Many times I have seen that when job posters give their e- mail addresses in the jobs posted by them, bidders do not prefer to go thru. Proz route or circuit breaker, instead they bid directly. I would like to have comments from members.

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:24
German to Italian
+ ...
I find the post formulation confusing Oct 27, 2001

maybe I am not so well acquainted with the \"formalities\", because I am not in ProZ since a long time, but when I see that outsourcers give their e-mail adress and ask to send there CV and so on, I don\'t know exactly whether they prefer to read the bids in ProZ or they prefer to be contacted directly. Usually I make both - I bid in ProZ, so that they can also see my profile and \"graduatory\", and I make reference to an e-mail that I send with all relevant information. I think that the matter ... See more
maybe I am not so well acquainted with the \"formalities\", because I am not in ProZ since a long time, but when I see that outsourcers give their e-mail adress and ask to send there CV and so on, I don\'t know exactly whether they prefer to read the bids in ProZ or they prefer to be contacted directly. Usually I make both - I bid in ProZ, so that they can also see my profile and \"graduatory\", and I make reference to an e-mail that I send with all relevant information. I think that the matter should be better defined with the outsourcers: if they are not looking at the bids in ProZ - then it is useless to put them. The view bids option has advantages and disadvantages - bidders who wait before posting their offer can look at the prices made by others and offer less, or look at their sample translations (I have sometimes seen some translations which were so identical that doubts might have arisen - or am I too devious? ).

--------

I would put another question: sometimes there are very old postings, I don\'t know whether the bid has been closed or not. And when the bid is closed, sometimes I receive a notification, sometimes not - it would be nice to be notified always.

Gilda
Collapse

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
I fully agree with Gilda. Oct 27, 2001

Most of the doubts you pose here, Gilda, come to me when bidding (private bids, mainly, but public ones too).

I do not have much to add to what you say.

Mónica Alfonso

cochrum
cochrum
Germany
Local time: 00:24
German to English
+ ...
eliminate "view bids" Oct 28, 2001

The first time I posted a bid (2 weeks ago),

I couldn\'t believe that one was actually able to read other bidders\'sample translations.It immediately crossed my mind that someone could just copy another bidder\'s work and then \"fine-tune\" it. Same with the price quotes.If you really want the job, why not underbid everyone else? I know, most companies look for quality and are willing to pay for it....

I think we should get rid of \"view bids\".

Equal opportunity fo
... See more
The first time I posted a bid (2 weeks ago),

I couldn\'t believe that one was actually able to read other bidders\'sample translations.It immediately crossed my mind that someone could just copy another bidder\'s work and then \"fine-tune\" it. Same with the price quotes.If you really want the job, why not underbid everyone else? I know, most companies look for quality and are willing to pay for it....

I think we should get rid of \"view bids\".

Equal opportunity for all !
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 03:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Even in a private bid Oct 29, 2001

froget about open bids. Waht about private bids? They coudl still be worse.Who knows what happens to your bids? No one has an answer yet.

Nathalie Kourimsky
Nathalie Kourimsky  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Private or public bids Oct 30, 2001

I think the open bids shouldn\'t be visible to the other translators. Either you are one of the first ones and you don\'t know what the others will bid, or you are the 50th and you can be sure that your chances of being chosen are about as big as winning a contest.

On the other hand, when bids are private you won\'t be tempted to reduce your price in order to stay in the race. I would say it helps (maybe)maintaining some kind of level.

I have had responses from com
... See more
I think the open bids shouldn\'t be visible to the other translators. Either you are one of the first ones and you don\'t know what the others will bid, or you are the 50th and you can be sure that your chances of being chosen are about as big as winning a contest.

On the other hand, when bids are private you won\'t be tempted to reduce your price in order to stay in the race. I would say it helps (maybe)maintaining some kind of level.

I have had responses from companies, so I guess they must look at the bids.

Usually, when a company posts a bid with their own e-mail, I don\'t answer on Proz, because I think they expect to get a direct answer. Also I have notices that they use several sites like Proz (aquarius, yahoo, and others)

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bidding: through ProZ.com or directly ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »