Where to obtain an Internet/email based fax number?
Thread poster: Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig
Marion Schimmelpfennig  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:09
English to German
Mar 28, 2006

I know they exist, but even though I was told that www.web.de or moneybookers offer such services, I couldn't find them.

What I am looking for is this: I would like to have a 'virtual' fax number with the faxes being stored on some web server until I retrieve them to my PC. If possible, for free

Any ideas?

Thanks a
... See more
I know they exist, but even though I was told that www.web.de or moneybookers offer such services, I couldn't find them.

What I am looking for is this: I would like to have a 'virtual' fax number with the faxes being stored on some web server until I retrieve them to my PC. If possible, for free

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance
Marion
Collapse

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
moneybookers Mar 28, 2006

http://www.moneybookers.com/app/messaging.pl?command=fax&fax_command=send

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite what I need :-( Mar 28, 2006

Thanks, Albert, but this is only a service enabling me to send faxes. What I need is a fax service enabling people (worldwide) to use their traditional fax machine and send me documents to a web-based fax number.

Does that exist?

Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:09
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Receiving Mar 28, 2006

What about receiving faxes?
-jr

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Web.de Mar 28, 2006

Hi Marion,

I have been using the Web.de service for many years now.
You can receive faxes that are saved as PDFs (I use this service mainly for receiving signed POs and because I just don't need another device).

Are you already registered with Web.de?
If yes, then you can find your Fax number by clicking "Fax" under "Neu" in the menu on the left side. Alternatively under Einstellungen>Nachrichten>Fax&Voice.

One drawback is that only certain prov
... See more
Hi Marion,

I have been using the Web.de service for many years now.
You can receive faxes that are saved as PDFs (I use this service mainly for receiving signed POs and because I just don't need another device).

Are you already registered with Web.de?
If yes, then you can find your Fax number by clicking "Fax" under "Neu" in the menu on the left side. Alternatively under Einstellungen>Nachrichten>Fax&Voice.

One drawback is that only certain providers support this service. You can find a list of all providers somewhere under Hilfe, and the country codes are under Neu>Fax>Tarife (lower right corner).

I recently had problems because one customer wasn't able to send me a fax. This was probably because the copy shop that offered the faxing service wasn't a customer of the Telekom. (so all customers who are also using Telekom are able to send you a fax)

Receiving is free - for Sending you need to have some virtual money (Web Cent).

Hope this helps,

Michaela
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Michaela, maybe I am almost there... Mar 28, 2006

I am now registered with web.de and have a virtual fax number - great! I browsed the help section but couldn't find an answer to my last question: does this fax number enable people all over the world to send me faxes to this number, or are there some limitations? If the latter, then my search has to go on....

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 13:09
eFax Mar 28, 2006

Hi Marion,

I use eFax - have you checked that service out yet? It's not free, but I get an Irish fax number which sends me faxes directly to my e-mail, whereever I may be. HTH!

Gruess,

Orla

[Edited at 2006-03-28 09:19]

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
yes, international faxing possible Mar 28, 2006

Hi Marion,

yes, that's possible. I've already used this service with American customers.

I've just found the hidden section with the providers in the different countries:
Go to: Neu > Fax > Tarife in the very low right corner > the popup with all country codes and rates appears > in the upper right side you see "Hilfe" > a new popup appears where you have to click on "Erreichbarkeit"> Fax & Voice.

Michaela

Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
Local time: 15:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
That does exist Mar 28, 2006

good morning

You will find what you are looking for in

www.bigfoot.com

in that you can get e fax number where you receive from fax machines as you want

Yours
Mr. Imad
Translator, writer and lecturer

Mar Anton (X)
Mar Anton (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
E-fax Mar 28, 2006

I had E-fax for almost one year and worked out just fine.
You may wanna check.

Good luck!

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Callwave Mar 28, 2006

Hi Marion,

It's like E-Fax. US- based and whatever they send you comes as an attachment to your e-mail address. It used to be free, I think they have trials for a month, now thay charge US $ 3.95 per year. I have been using it for three years and am satisfied. You can only receive faxes.

http://www.callwave.com/landing/corp_wam.asp

Best regards,
... See more
Hi Marion,

It's like E-Fax. US- based and whatever they send you comes as an attachment to your e-mail address. It used to be free, I think they have trials for a month, now thay charge US $ 3.95 per year. I have been using it for three years and am satisfied. You can only receive faxes.

http://www.callwave.com/landing/corp_wam.asp

Best regards,

Haydée
Collapse

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - checking out all your suggestions! Mar 29, 2006

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for all your useful postings. I'm currently checking out all the links and already found two or three that could be the solution to my quest.

Cheers
Marion

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
Warning against Moneybookers Mar 29, 2006

I tried to use Moneybookers fax service (which, by the way, is operated by a third party, a Bulgarian company, but the name escapes me now), but I gave up after three months as people constantly complained of not being able to send any faxes to that number...

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 09:09
English to German
+ ...
HAPPY FREE FAX .COM May 5, 2006

Hallo dear Marion, (-;

actually this is not the name of the company nor is it free, I just want to make sure you read my post ( kind of lame I know) but try to check this out. It works wonderful for me. Hm... probably way to late as well yeiks. Just want to get in touch with your beautiful spirit.

http://www.myfax.com/

Good luck!
Bye bye

Andrea

Marion Schimmelpfennig
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Andrea! May 6, 2006

Thanks for all the useful advice.

Andrea, I recently registered with faxtomail.biz. It works worldwide (tested it) and only costs 1 Euro per month. I think this is the closest to a professional free fax service I can get.

Cheers!!!
Marion

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to obtain an Internet/email based fax number?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »