What is an IBAN and a Swift number?
Thread poster: Marwa Radi

Marwa Radi
Local time: 02:13
English to Arabic
Mar 28, 2006

Sorry if the question sounds ignorants
Hello every body,

I have been woking for translation companies inside my country and recieving my payment via the bank account.
I have done a new job for a company in Greece. Could they transfer the money easily having only my account number in our local Bank.
They asked me give my IBAN and Swift number? isnt an account number sufficient to transfer fom one country to another(From Greece to Egypt)
thank you for your pacience!
Marwa Radi

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:13
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
account number not sufficient Mar 28, 2006

Marwa Radi wrote:

Sorry if the question sounds ignorants

It's not, don't worry. In fact several people have asked this before.

They asked me give my IBAN and Swift number? isnt an account number sufficient to transfer fom one country to another(From Greece to Egypt)

No, it's not sufficient. They need the Swift number to identify the bank where you have your account. See if the following links to previous discussions help you:

http://www.proz.com/post/307639#307639

http://www.proz.com/post/260578#260578
http://www.proz.com/post/245202#245202

Maria

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:13
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Numbers needed for transfers Mar 28, 2006

The IBAN number stands for 'international bank account number'. Compare this with an international telephone call: just the phone number is not enough, you need a country code and area code. The Swift code is another code needed for international money transfers. You should be able to get these numbers from your bank. For transfers, you will also have to give the complete name and address of your bank, the bank number, the branch number, and your account number.

Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 04:13
English to Arabic
+ ...
Get such information from your bank Mar 28, 2006

Hi Marwa,

In order to receive bank transfers from a foreign country into your bank account in Egypt, you have to provide your foreign client with your international bank account number (IBAN) and your bank SWIFT Code.
You can easily get this information from your bank. Just call your bank and tell them you’re your bank account number is xxx, and ask them what will your international bank account number be. They will tell you to add few digits. For example, my local bank account number is 9889-9, so my international bank account number will be 004-11-9889-9. Also, ask them about the bank SWIFT code. Be careful when they tell the SWIFT code on the phone, and make double check with them.

Also it will be preferable to provide your client with more information such as your bank address and branch.

Best regards,

Waleed

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 20:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
IBAN is now obligatory in the EU Mar 28, 2006

According to information received recently from my UK bank, there was an EU directive that came into force on 01/01/2006 making it obligatory to quote the beneficiary's IBAN code and the receiving bank's SWIFT code (BIC) on all transfers between banks in the 25 Member States of the EU, plus Switzerland, Liechstenstein, Iceland and Norway.

My bank also says they will charge an extra £7 per transaction if the information is missing, starting from 27/03/2006 (yesterday ...).

HTH

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:13
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
All info on their web sites. Mar 29, 2006

www.ecbs.org/iban.htm

www.swift.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is an IBAN and a Swift number?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs