Working as local staff
Thread poster: Managing Dir (X)
Managing Dir (X)
Managing Dir (X)
Local time: 17:43
English to French
Apr 10, 2006

Is there anybody here working as a translator (local staff) in a French Embassy anywhere in the world? if yes what are the working conditions and benefits (social insurance, annual leaves, working hours etc.) and are you happy with this job.

Thank you in advance

Regards,
Scott

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Would you care to give some information about yourself? Apr 10, 2006

Hi Scott,

May I suggest you post some details about yourself as well?
People tend to reply sooner when they know (at least) a few things about the asker.

Kind regards,

Evert Deloof-Sys

Managing Dir (X)
Managing Dir (X)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Apr 10, 2006

Evert DELOOF-SYS wrote:

Hi Scott,

May I suggest you post some details about yourself as well?
People tend to reply sooner when they know (at least) a few things about the asker.

Kind regards,

Evert Deloof-Sys

Hi Evert, I am from Greece and the last 5 years I work as a free lance translator. Actually, a friend of mine received a proposition to work in a French Embassy and would like to have an idea about the local staff's working conditions.

Regards,
Scott

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:43
Conditions vary depending on the countries Apr 10, 2006

I have not worked in any French Embassy, but I did work as a local employe in another Embassy for a long time, in Mexico City.

In general, most embassies tend to pay local employees in accordance with local maket conditions. Enough to be able to attract qualified candidates, but not too much to create a distortion in the local market.

A common practice among embassies and consulates is to do compensation surveys and compare their figures with those of their peers. In
... See more
I have not worked in any French Embassy, but I did work as a local employe in another Embassy for a long time, in Mexico City.

In general, most embassies tend to pay local employees in accordance with local maket conditions. Enough to be able to attract qualified candidates, but not too much to create a distortion in the local market.

A common practice among embassies and consulates is to do compensation surveys and compare their figures with those of their peers. In Mexico City, for instance, the US, Canadian, Australian, British, French, and Japanese embassies used to meet periodically to compare marks and see how good (or bad) they were doing regarding compensation packages.

Usually, the perks of working in an Embassy might be the exposure to an "international" environment, and maybe a more flexible (or different) schedules. Thepay will be good in general, but do not expect anything similar to what French people enjoy in France.

From the point of view of embassies as employers, following local compensation practices helps even their expenses across the world. For instance, the salaries that a European embassy pays in some of its missions in Latin America might translate into very few euros, but the salaries they have to pay in Japan or Norway will be much higher than the ones they would pay in France for the same services.

Hope this helps!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working as local staff

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »