Thread poster: Alberto Orengo
Alberto Orengo
Alberto Orengo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:14
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 13, 2006

How do I make sure that, after translating a couple of chapters of a book as a sample for the author to show to the publisher, the publisher won't tell the author "I like the book, I will publish it, but will give the translation to some of my inhouse translators?" Result: I would have translated nearly for free, as the author's goal, at the end, is only seeing his book published abroad. Is there anyway that I can strengthen my position as translator? (e.g. by posting my sample online in my home... See more
How do I make sure that, after translating a couple of chapters of a book as a sample for the author to show to the publisher, the publisher won't tell the author "I like the book, I will publish it, but will give the translation to some of my inhouse translators?" Result: I would have translated nearly for free, as the author's goal, at the end, is only seeing his book published abroad. Is there anyway that I can strengthen my position as translator? (e.g. by posting my sample online in my homepage, make it visible somehow, etc.?). Thanks,
Alberto
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 21:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
Don't post! Apr 13, 2006

This material is the property of the author. I think it would be highly unethical for you to post it anywhere or even to show it to anyone - that would be a breach of confidentiality. It is up to the author to negotiate with the publisher if he/she wants you to do the translation. Up until that time you have no guarantees - the kind of risk you sometimes take hoping that things will work out. Of course, if you don't get the entire job, the author does owe you for the chapters you have already co... See more
This material is the property of the author. I think it would be highly unethical for you to post it anywhere or even to show it to anyone - that would be a breach of confidentiality. It is up to the author to negotiate with the publisher if he/she wants you to do the translation. Up until that time you have no guarantees - the kind of risk you sometimes take hoping that things will work out. Of course, if you don't get the entire job, the author does owe you for the chapters you have already completed.Collapse

Anna Strowe
Anna Strowe
Local time: 23:14
Italian to English
Thanks Apr 18, 2006

Thank you Tina. I was thinking the same. If the editor decides to publish giving the job to another translator, still it's my work that allowed the author to get published. Then I give for granted that the initial "risk"has born fruits. The author gets what I was working for after all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terms of publication author/translator/publisher

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »