Germany
Local time: 21:33
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 13, 2006

Dear all,

Yesterday I received this email from a client:

In order to formally register with our company, you are required to complete the enclosed Application Form and return it us by e-mail at [email protected] along with an up to date CV, copies of your Diplomas, Certificates (related to your linguistic profession or not), two Letters of Reference with referees' contact details, a copy of your passport or d
... See more
Dear all,

Yesterday I received this email from a client:

In order to formally register with our company, you are required to complete the enclosed Application Form and return it us by e-mail at [email protected] along with an up to date CV, copies of your Diplomas, Certificates (related to your linguistic profession or not), two Letters of Reference with referees' contact details, a copy of your passport or driving licence and a statement and evidence of continuous professional development. If any of these documents are not available in English, please provide us with a translation into English.

If you reside in the UK, you are also required to provide us with a 'Subject Access Letter, Section 21 of the Data Protection Act 1984'. The letter can be obtained FROM your local Police station or Police Authority. In addition, if you reside in the UK but you are not an EU or British national, we require a copy of your work permit issued by the UK authorities.

I am used to filling out lengthy application forms, sending CVs, and providing references. But this is a bit much, no? What do you think? Have you ever sent so much information to one client?

Curious to hear your opinions,
Stefanie
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:33
And pass a poligraph test ;-) ... Apr 13, 2006

The translation departments (I think it has now been consolidated into only one, though) of some national security offices in the US are the only ones that I have heard of requiring such "complete" information.

Up to each of us to decide if we want to work with them, I think... I personally would not even bother replying...

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:33
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
A BIT much..?! Apr 13, 2006

Sounds odd to me. What could they possibly do with all that information? A bit fishy... I assume the client is an agency. A well known one? What about their BB rating?

Anyway, I can't see why anyone would bother to answer and send all those documents. You'd have to be quite desperate for work...

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
Don't forget Apr 13, 2006

the urine sample

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
A colleague Apr 13, 2006

has some brilliant ideas for dealing with such 'clients'

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
WAY too much Apr 13, 2006

I wouldn't even bother responding; I'd just hit the delete button.

Vidmantas Stilius
Vidmantas Stilius  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:33
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
In memoriam
Yep... Apr 13, 2006

Dear Stefanie,

It seems I know which agency you are talking about. Quite recently, they contacted me for the first time for a small (200-word) but urgent job. I replied immediately and asked to send the file(s) to see what I could do about it. Instead, they send me a 11-page agreement + list of documents (you mentioned it) etc etc and said they would only be able to send the file when I accept the terms, etc. My reply was that I had no time for that in the middle of a busy Monday.... See more
Dear Stefanie,

It seems I know which agency you are talking about. Quite recently, they contacted me for the first time for a small (200-word) but urgent job. I replied immediately and asked to send the file(s) to see what I could do about it. Instead, they send me a 11-page agreement + list of documents (you mentioned it) etc etc and said they would only be able to send the file when I accept the terms, etc. My reply was that I had no time for that in the middle of a busy Monday.

They sent the file for translation then; the 11-page form has not been filled up yet.

Why on earth would they need my passport/driving licence?
Collapse

cmwilliams (X)
cmwilliams (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:33
French to English
+ ...
Is it for work as an interpreter? Apr 13, 2006

This is the kind of thing that is required for the National Register of Public Service Interpreters in the UK. http://www.nrpsi.co.uk/applications/index.htm

I don't think such information should be required for freelance translating and I certainly wouldn't supply it.

[Edited at 2006-04-13 18:30]

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 23:33
English to Russian
I did Apr 13, 2006

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote: But this is a bit much, no? What do you think? Have you ever sent so much information to one client?

I did.
I worked in 1990 in Iraq for these guys: http://www.roe.ru.
I guess your client is MI5, isn't it?

"The longer the form the deader the silence" - that's my experience. OTOH I translate secret stuff (techo) for a few direct clients without an NDA.

Ask them a few questions, try to have as much fun as these morons can provide you with.

Stay healthy!
Aleksandr

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BB Record Apr 13, 2006

Niina Lahokoski wrote:

Sounds odd to me. What could they possibly do with all that information? A bit fishy... I assume the client is an agency. A well known one? What about their BB rating?

Anyway, I can't see why anyone would bother to answer and send all those documents. You'd have to be quite desperate for work...

Hi Niina,

Well, they approached me about a week ago and said they had found my information on the internet. I replied, and soon afterwards received a call from the very friendly PM who held a little interview of about ten minutes with me, asking me what I would consider a good translation, what my fields of expertise are, etc.

They have only two entries in the BB. One is a 5, the other one a 2 (because of late payment).

Stefanie

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not MI5 Apr 13, 2006

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:
I did.
I worked in 1990 in Iraq for these guys: http://www.roe.ru.
I guess your client is MI5, isn't it?

Nope, not MI5. It's actually the FBI

"The longer the form the deader the silence" - that's my experience.

Aleksandr, thanks for the laugh. I love this!

Stay healthy!
Aleksandr

Thanks, you too!
Stefanie

Stefanie Sendelbach
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Application Form Apr 13, 2006

Vidmantas Stilius wrote:It seems I know which agency you are talking about. Quite recently, they contacted me for the first time for a small (200-word) but urgent job. I replied immediately and asked to send the file(s) to see what I could do about it. Instead, they send me a 11-page agreement + list of documents (you mentioned it) etc etc and said they would only be able to send the file when I accept the terms, etc. My reply was that I had no time for that in the middle of a busy Monday.

They sent the file for translation then; the 11-page form has not been filled up yet.

Hi Vidmantas,

Yep, 11-page application form (though only three of the pages are the actual application form, the rest is their Terms and Conditions).

Why on earth would they need my passport/driving licence?

I have no idea...

Enjoy your evening,
Stefanie

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Ask them for their references, too Apr 14, 2006

Hi,
I agree with the remarks in the thread Ogden mentioned - ask them for their references, the last three financial reports - translated in your language if need be - their VAT number, a certified bank account balance so that you have a proof that they will be able to pay you, etc...
And a copy of their driving license, too!
After all, you're not applying, they are contacting you in the first place.

BR
Marie-Céline GEORG

[Edited at 2006-04-14
... See more
Hi,
I agree with the remarks in the thread Ogden mentioned - ask them for their references, the last three financial reports - translated in your language if need be - their VAT number, a certified bank account balance so that you have a proof that they will be able to pay you, etc...
And a copy of their driving license, too!
After all, you're not applying, they are contacting you in the first place.

BR
Marie-Céline GEORG

[Edited at 2006-04-14 08:48]
Collapse

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:33
German to English
Sounds more like an application for an in-house job Apr 14, 2006

Full-timers might have to go through this many hoops, but it seems a little over the top for a freelancer.
Data is one thing, information is another: your agent seems a bit confused as to the distinction in this case...
Finally there's instinct of course: if it doesn't feel right it probably isn't.
Good luck
DB

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Marie-Céline has got it! Apr 20, 2006

Marie-Céline has the perfect solution to this, read her advice carefully.

Marie-Céline, you made me laugh! My day is a little brighter now...

A little note: always remember that YOU are the service provider, not the other way around. So, YOU should have YOUR terms and conditions. YOU are offering a service, so, they will have to consider what YOU are offering, take it or leave it. Don't get fooled by overzealous people such as these, you are not applying for a job. I
... See more
Marie-Céline has the perfect solution to this, read her advice carefully.

Marie-Céline, you made me laugh! My day is a little brighter now...

A little note: always remember that YOU are the service provider, not the other way around. So, YOU should have YOUR terms and conditions. YOU are offering a service, so, they will have to consider what YOU are offering, take it or leave it. Don't get fooled by overzealous people such as these, you are not applying for a job. I don't think you have become a freelancer in order to have a "job". Am I wrong?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Isn't this a tad too much? - Application requirements

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »