Mobile menu

Form W-8BEN
Thread poster: Adrián Morgollón
Adrián Morgollón
Local time: 22:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 21, 2006

Hi everybody. I have been said by a translation agency in the USA to fill a W-8BEN form but I don´t know exactly how to do it. I have the instructions to fill it but they are to technical. I don´t understand specially lines 6,7 and 8. You can find the form on this link www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf and the instruction on this one www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8ben.pdf. Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

marybro  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
hope this helps Apr 21, 2006

Line 6

They want to know the number the US. government identifies with you

For an individual:

SSN Social Security Number
ITIN Individual Taxpayer Identification Number

for a company:
FEIN Federal Employer Identification Number

Line 7

What is your taxpayer identification number/how does YOUR country of residence identify you?

Good luck.

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:51
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
W-8BEN Apr 21, 2006

My understanding is that a Spanish translator in Spain exporting their translation to the US wouldn't need to put a US number in line 6 because they don't live or work in the US, and wouldn't need to put their Spanish number in line 7 because it is optional. Perhaps it is also not necessary for you to put anything in line 8 either, except in some circumstances mentioned in these rather complicated seeming notes, which may not apply to you.

Does anyone have any different information?

The thoughtful note at the bottom of the bottom of the notes caused me a wry smile, "The time needed to complete and file this form will vary depending on individual circumstances. The estimated average time is: Recordkeeping, 5 hr., 58 min.; Learning about the law or the form, 3 hr., 46 min.; Preparing and sending the form to IRS, 4 hr., 2 min."

[Edited at 2006-04-21 23:31]

xxxsarahl
Local time: 13:51
English to French
+ ...
Just fill the first part Apr 22, 2006

They just need to verify that you live outside the U.S. so they don't need to send you a 1099, that's a form they have to send to all U.S. citizens and residents and file with the IRS.

So just fill your name and address, that's all they need.

[Edited at 2006-04-22 06:41]

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree with Giuli Apr 22, 2006

[quote]Dr. Giuli Kvrivishvili wrote:

My understanding is that a Spanish translator in Spain exporting their translation to the US wouldn't need to put a US number in line 6 because they don't live or work in the US, and wouldn't need to put their Spanish number in line 7 because it is optional. Perhaps it is also not necessary for you to put anything in line 8 either, except in some circumstances mentioned in these rather complicated seeming notes, which may not apply to you.

I filled and mailed a few weeks ago a W-8BEN, and I was specifically instructed not to fill lines 6, 7 and 8 (since they just don't apply to non-US citizens).
You can e-mail us if you want further details.
I hope this helps! And have a nice one, you all!!

ANDRES

Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Does this also apply to me? Sep 2, 2009

xxxsarahl wrote:

They just need to verify that you live outside the U.S. so they don't need to send you a 1099, that's a form they have to send to all U.S. citizens and residents and file with the IRS.

So just fill your name and address, that's all they need.

[Edited at 2006-04-22 06:41]

I wonder if this also applies to me. I'm a freelance translator living in Portugal. I've read the W-8BEN instructions but to tell the truth, I think they're too technical... I will email the person who sent me the documents, but it doesn't hurt to ask you, my fellow ProZ-ians.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Form W-8BEN

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs