Asking for translators - should I have a definite job first?
Thread poster: Ron Clarey
Ron Clarey
Ron Clarey
Local time: 01:10
Aug 21, 2002

I recently posted a job for translators for which several people applied. The job however was closed by my client with out explanation, I just happened to mention that some money up front would not go amiss as he was a new client. This got me thinking should I ask for translators when I have a firm job to offer or should I ask when I get a request from a client. Does anyonehave any thoughts on the situation. I am a new agency just trying to improve the way I work.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Answer just to part of your question Aug 22, 2002

\"should I ask for translators when I have a firm job to offer\"

If you call for translators several times and don\'t give a job, you\'re going to loose credibility. But you can call for translators explaining that you have a project, not sure yet, and you want to be ready. Every body understands that.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just being practical Aug 22, 2002

From Spain (OK, I know that\'s generally no recommendation, but I believe we go the whole range).

Tayfun has a point about paying two bank charges: you if you cash a cheque, the client if he makes a transfer. The question was raised some time back as to whether a translator should ask for up-front on a 90-page job. In that case I said that it depended, I saw no reason for it - I have a 270-page book on the desk right now that is programmed to finish 3 weeks after delivery of
... See more
From Spain (OK, I know that\'s generally no recommendation, but I believe we go the whole range).

Tayfun has a point about paying two bank charges: you if you cash a cheque, the client if he makes a transfer. The question was raised some time back as to whether a translator should ask for up-front on a 90-page job. In that case I said that it depended, I saw no reason for it - I have a 270-page book on the desk right now that is programmed to finish 3 weeks after delivery of text, so I didn\'t ask for up-front. My criteria was the 30-day payment/clearance that serves us in lieu of salary. I also have government clients who pay monthly, by invoice. And another government client that once proposed an 8-month job and paid an advance. But money as a basis of bona fides is a bit jarring in my part of the world, where a COMPANY is expected to deliver services before compensation, and the invoice/collection system is expected to function.

PS: I do not work as a company, nor am I a translation intermediary; I take full responsibility for my production. But I can\'t help seeing this as a matter of common sense. There are amounts for which fractioning payments actually comes out cheaper, and then you have a pre-convinced client (after all, what\'s his guarantee that you WILL deliver?)
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:10
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Ron... Aug 22, 2002

why have you called your agency Translater.net, and not Translator.net? Just curious...

Giovanni

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for translators - should I have a definite job first?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »