Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:34
German to English
+ ...
May 31, 2006

How should a translator be credited in a translated engineering book?
I've found just a little bit of an answer in some model translation contracts posted here in 2001.
To be more specific: I'm about to be offered a contract to translate an engineering textbook for students (German to English) and the publisher has asked me whether I have "... requirements about how you are credited in the book (i.e. any affiliations that you require us to place in conjunction with your name)?"
... See more
How should a translator be credited in a translated engineering book?
I've found just a little bit of an answer in some model translation contracts posted here in 2001.
To be more specific: I'm about to be offered a contract to translate an engineering textbook for students (German to English) and the publisher has asked me whether I have "... requirements about how you are credited in the book (i.e. any affiliations that you require us to place in conjunction with your name)?"
My questions to you, based on your experience or specific knowledge are:
1. Is it usual to show the professional qualifications and/or memberships of a translator in such books (and if so, which ones)?
2. Should I request that my name be shown as translator (a) on the front cover, (b) on the inside page that has the publication date, publisher's details etc., (c) on the inside title page, (d) elsewhere such as in publicity? I have the impression that the answers are probably (a) no, (b) yes, (c) no, (d) probably, but I'd have to visit an institution or university library or technical bookshop to see examples. It could be difficult to find examples of English textbooks of engineering that are translations - I suspect translation of these is usually from English. It's also possible that this publisher may have fixed ideas on this particular question.

Any good suggestions?
Oliver
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:34
English to French
+ ...
Good question Jun 1, 2006

This is an intuitive answer from someone who has not - yet - been credited in books.

My guess is, unless you are translating literature and it is through you as a translator that someone's work will be available to different cultures, it is not necessary to have you credited on the cover. I would ask to be in the first pages, where all the rest of the info is, but NOT under the ISBN number - rather under the author's name.

As for "affiliations", I don't think they are i
... See more
This is an intuitive answer from someone who has not - yet - been credited in books.

My guess is, unless you are translating literature and it is through you as a translator that someone's work will be available to different cultures, it is not necessary to have you credited on the cover. I would ask to be in the first pages, where all the rest of the info is, but NOT under the ISBN number - rather under the author's name.

As for "affiliations", I don't think they are important, unless you are a master or a doctor. Think about the way your name is printed on your business card - I would copy that. If it says Dr. next to your name, I would include it in the credit. I would under no circumstance put certified translator there. Something along the lines of Translated by Dr. X or Translation by Dr. Y would be great.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with having your name on the cover of the book - but if it's not literature, people will think "what do I care who translated this?".

However, I would by all means ask to be credited if there is a way to get credited. It's a chance we don't often get and we should seize the occasion every time we get it.

Like I said, it's an intuitive answer - hopefully someone with experience in this will pick up your thread.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-06-01 00:16]
Collapse

Claudio Chagas (X)
Claudio Chagas (X)
Brazil
Local time: 22:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Title page May 31, 2006

Here's an example of a translated book that shows the translator's name on page iii, below the tile.

http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN3540426760&id=9afK6aOovwEC&pg=PR3&lpg=PR3&dq=engineering%20translated%20by&sig=NGZEO6ZIh7bxqkYl5Pd5HsG0XG8

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:34
German to English
From a publishing viewpoint Jun 1, 2006

I worked on the other side of the fence, as an editor for a scientific publisher. If we're talking about a major publisher, it's reasonable for a book of this type to stipulate that you be on the inside title page AND in the book's CIP data--that'll insure your name shows up in library catalogs.

Good luck!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some opinions... Jun 1, 2006

Oliver Walter wrote:
1. Is it usual to show the professional qualifications and/or memberships of a translator in such books (and if so, which ones)?

IMO the academic qualifications are mentioned but not the professional memberships. This might be because your academic qualification is permanent, but your memberships aren't. You may also be a member of Mensa and the Rotary Club, but you're not going to add those, are you?

2. Should I request that my name be shown as translator (a) on the front cover, (b) on the inside page that has the publication date, publisher's details etc., (c) on the inside title page, (d) elsewhere such as in publicity?

My impression is a = no, b = yes, c = no and d = depends on how famous you are and how well your name might help sell the book.

My2x

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:34
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 1, 2006

Dear Viktoria, Steven and Samuel. Thank you for your comments and suggestions - they are all useful and helpful.
My (provisional) decision as a result is:
I'll ask for my name, followed by Ph.D., on the copyright/CIP page, and perhaps the inside title page but not the cover.
Viktoria: my card shows more than one degree and professional membership, but I think you're right to suggest only one degree in the book.
Steven: yes, I'll check that my publisher thinks the same way
... See more
Dear Viktoria, Steven and Samuel. Thank you for your comments and suggestions - they are all useful and helpful.
My (provisional) decision as a result is:
I'll ask for my name, followed by Ph.D., on the copyright/CIP page, and perhaps the inside title page but not the cover.
Viktoria: my card shows more than one degree and professional membership, but I think you're right to suggest only one degree in the book.
Steven: yes, I'll check that my publisher thinks the same way.
Samuel: I don't qualify for Mensa (IQ at least 148) and I'm not a member of Rotary, but, as you say, I would not include them if I were.
To other ProZians: that doesn't mean I don't want any more replies. If you can contribute, please do. It will help others also, not only me.
Oliver
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
credito, em geral Jun 1, 2006

To my knowledge, in general, if a book has more than one writer/contributor/editor (and this should include translator), they are listed together as the creators of the book, on the cover, as well as inside the front page.
This is true, in general, of text books, collections of literature/poetry, etc.

Of course, this is coming from a literature major...but I know it applies to scientific and math texts, etc., as well. Although, in that context, principally those who contribu
... See more
To my knowledge, in general, if a book has more than one writer/contributor/editor (and this should include translator), they are listed together as the creators of the book, on the cover, as well as inside the front page.
This is true, in general, of text books, collections of literature/poetry, etc.

Of course, this is coming from a literature major...but I know it applies to scientific and math texts, etc., as well. Although, in that context, principally those who contributed to the content of the text are listed, and I do not suspect that a translator would be included. In literary translations, of course, they are.

Nonetheless, I have translated large portions of a book recently, and don´t know if I´m to be credited in the book at all, as I did the work through an agency. I should check into that.

I would not expect to find anything more than your name, really.
If you were one of the major contributors to a text, it might list your academic affiliations, such as
Dr. Fulano Cerebro, BS- Universidade de Ninguem, MS- Faculdade de Porcaria, Ph.D. Universidade de Sujeito
Or some such thing...but I wouldn´t expect to see ALA Certified Translator, etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Crediting a book's translator

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »