No-Show Interpreters
Thread poster: Richard Creech

Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:17
French to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2006

I am curious as to how agencies handle situations when an interpreter fails to show up for an assignment. The client has arranged a meeting, perhaps hired others to be there (court reporter, catering, etc.)

Direct link Reply with quote

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:17
English to Italian
no-show interpreter Jun 7, 2006

gets on the phone and tries desperately to find a substitute...

Giovanni

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:17
German to English
+ ...
Ouch... Jun 7, 2006

I'm not an agency and it may sound hard, but I would organize an alternative and then claim (and/or pass on the) damages.

[Edited at 2006-06-07 12:20]

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:17
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Not a perfect solution, but Jun 7, 2006

in some cases they end up calling a telephonic interpreter. This is the case with court, hospitals, welfare appointments, SSA appointments, different administrative hearings etc.

I provide telephonic interpretation from home and about 30% of my calls are due to a no-show or late-show interpreter. Now, this is a large percentage IMO. However, most of these calls are short, since the interpreter finally makes it there.

Monika

Richard Creech wrote:

I am curious as to how agencies handle situations when an interpreter fails to show up for an assignment. The client has arranged a meeting, perhaps hired others to be there (court reporter, catering, etc.)

xxxsarahl
Local time: 17:17
English to French
+ ...
Agencies send in a replacement Jun 7, 2006

Hi Richard

I suppose you meant conference interpretation. Usually, one of the interpreters will be there, two interpreters not showing up is quite unheard of. In that case, the interpreter finding him/herself alone calls the agency who can then arrange for a replacement to run to the conference. It happened to me a couple times, in both situations. I still remember this one agency waking me up on a Monday morning and asking me to hop on the next plane to the US. We interpreters certainly live on the edge!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No-Show Interpreters

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs