https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/49285-poor_agencies_changing_their_spots.html

Poor agencies changing their spots?
Thread poster: Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:24
French to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2006

I was contacted this morning by an agency asking for 4000 words for tomorrow afternoon, and asking for my availability and rates (nothing unusual there). Not knowing the agency, I looked them up on the blue board, I found that they have a dreadful reputation and are banned from posting jobs here. Questions to other payment practices lists have revealed similar concerns.

I am not touching this job with a ten-foot pole, and I really wonder how this agency is still in business consider
... See more
I was contacted this morning by an agency asking for 4000 words for tomorrow afternoon, and asking for my availability and rates (nothing unusual there). Not knowing the agency, I looked them up on the blue board, I found that they have a dreadful reputation and are banned from posting jobs here. Questions to other payment practices lists have revealed similar concerns.

I am not touching this job with a ten-foot pole, and I really wonder how this agency is still in business considering it declared bankruptcy last year (apparently). But this made me think, and my question is: if such an agency were to be under new management, and had changed its practices and were doing much better, how would we know? What facilities are there for agencies to restore their reputations?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:24
English to German
+ ...
Settle outstanding claims Jun 12, 2006

Hi Angela,

Were you contacted by e-mail (i.e. outside ProZ.com), or through your profile?

I am not touching this job with a ten-foot pole, and I really wonder how this agency is still in business considering it declared bankruptcy last year (apparently). But this made me think, and my question is: if such an agency were to be under new management, and had changed its practices and were doing much better, how would we know? What facilities are there for agencies to restore their reputations?

Now that's a simple one (at least as far as ProZ.com is concerned): all they need to do is to settle all outstanding non-payment complaints, in which case ProZ.com will lift the block on job posting rights. Admittedly, this doesn't happen too often, but we have seen it happen in some cases. What made these cases different was the determination of senior management to set their record straight.

Best regards,
Ralf

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:24
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Jun 12, 2006

Were you contacted by e-mail (i.e. outside ProZ.com), or through your profile?

They didn't contact me through ProZ - I just got an email from them saying they'd found my details 'on the internet'. I did my usual checks on them and found their blue board record.

Glad to hear it sometimes does happen that agencies change. I don't think this lot have, though. Yet.

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
Local time: 07:24
agencies to stay away from Jun 13, 2006

Sounds like somebody that immediately came up to mind when reading your post. If it is, I have more information. Feel free to contact me via private e-mail.
And if that's the one, it won't be allowed on BB for at least another 10 years, based on the rule given by Ralf!
df

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poor agencies changing their spots?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »