Mobile menu

Portfolio – What’s your opinion on this feature?
Thread poster: A Hayes
A Hayes
Local time: 08:15
Jul 7, 2006

Hi there,

I’d be particularly interested to hear from those of you who have had yr translation samples up for some time.

Has having a few samples in the public domain made a difference in clients’ attitudes (e.g. when you give them your rates), job offers, etc? Do you find many new clients come to you and readily accept your rates because they like your style/trust you, etc?

After nearly four years as a member, I’ve just uploaded a few translation samples. I am very limited in what I can disclose, as most of my work is confidential. What I have uploaded are extracts from translations I’ve done for friends, as part of research papers, or for my students. Also, I’ve used mainly old translations, so I don’t know to what extent these samples are representative of my work...

What are your thoughts on this?

[Edited at 2006-07-07 13:13]

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:15
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I think you will benefit from displaying the samples of your work Jul 7, 2006

I have nothing in my portfolio yet, as virtually 100% of my work is highly confidential. However, as an outsourcer I have looked at other people's portfolios. I checked the portfolios of people who placed bids for recent jobs that I posted. Not so many people have anything there, but one person did have, and I looked at the sample translations carefully and liked them. Nevertheless, on that occasion I was not able to contact that particular person.

A Hayes
Local time: 08:15
Thanks, Astrid. Jul 8, 2006

Unfortunately, though, I can't upload the jobs I would like clients to see. So I'm not sure. This is a trial period.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:15
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It could be useful Jul 8, 2006

If you think as an outsourcer, it could be useful to give a quick check to a sample of the work of a potential translator (as Astrid says), at least to confirm he/she is not too bad!

I have seen a few portfolios with TERRIBLE translation examples... some of them even seemed automatic translations!!!

Anyway, your post reminds me we should upload something... thank you!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-07-08 14:41]

Maria Nicholas  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:15
Greek to English
+ ...
I utilize it extensively Jul 27, 2006

To throw in my $0.02, I love the Portfolio feature and use it extensively. I translate a lot of published articles, so confidentiality isn't so much an issue for me. I think it's a great way for potential clients to get an idea of your style and strengths, and I view it as a way to support the credentials/specialty areas I list in my profile.

Having said that, I think it would be great if the samples could initially appear collapsed, and open only if the user wants to see more ... mine are kind of on the long side and it could get tiring to have to scroll through everything. Also, I think it would be great if the order of the translations could be changeable.

Other than that, I feel this feature has helped my establish my value as a translator and attract potential clients. I'm glad it exists!

Have a nice weekend.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Portfolio – What’s your opinion on this feature?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs