SDL-Trados Certification what do you think?
Thread poster: mystymy
mystymy
Local time: 23:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2006

Has anyone taken note this SDL/Trados certification? It is certification by SDL. DOes anyone know about the advantages? Disadvantages? Costs? Reasons? Contacting SDL is of no avail-they want to increase revenue streams, so they will only point out what they feel is important. What do the Proz members feel?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:01
French to English
+ ...
Don't think I'll bother with it Jul 14, 2006

If I pay Trados a considerable sum of money, I get accredited and have the right to give them free advertising on my business card and website etc - hmmmm - no thanks.

It might spur people on to discover the lesser-used functions and capabilities of the programme, but I'll just do that as a matter of course, without paying yet more money for the privilege. I don't really see that it would attract more customers - I already say I use Trados - surely that is all clients need to know.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 06:01
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
No, thanks Jul 14, 2006

Hope they will not ask questions on how to solve that curly brackets problem In that case I will fail. However, I am sure that many of the Trados programmers shall also fail in such a certification test.

In my opinion, they are not making this test only to earn more money; it seems that they want to employ some experienced people who may help them solve the bugs in the program.

mystymy
Local time: 23:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the programming bugs...did not think of it Jul 15, 2006

you could be right. I did not think about Trados needing someone to fix the bugs. Seems a good idea-it does leave users perplexed at times.

Thank you for your opinions.

Jens Wargenau  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:01
English to German
+ ...
Serious doubts about its usefulness Oct 26, 2006

After doing the free placement test for SDL Trados certification I felt I might as well try and take the next step, but after doing the intermediate online exam and seeing the kind of questions you have to answer, I think I will not follow through with this. For me as a translator, the kind of "knowledge" you have to have in order to pass the exam is simply beside the point and does not prove anything; putting it simply, it's more about being able to know the exact names of menu options in the various programs of the SDL Trados suite than understanding their purpose and functionality; I suspect that SDL are simply trying out new ways of getting some extra revenue, and you are granted the right to place some shiny banner on your website in return. I don't like that idea. Not in its current form anyway.

Thomas Deschington
Poland
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Not such a bad idea, perhaps, but... Nov 30, 2006

... when you read the FAQs and number 6, it says:

"6.Do I need to renew my SDL TRADOS Certification when new versions of the software are released?

Yes, your SDL TRADOS Certification is specific to the latest current version of SDL Trados 2006 and is valid for 60 days after a new exam is published for any new product version release. SDL TRADOS will email you with the details of new exams as well as a reminder of when your certification is due for renewal."

I think the idea of having some sort of "official" certification (but perhaps not by the software producer....) is actually good. But if your certification is only valid until there's a new update, then it's a big rip off. At least it should be "valid for this or that version".

(Too bad Trados is so widespread. Personally, I prefer SLDX for many things. Much more stable.)

Thomas Deschington
Poland
English to Norwegian
+ ...
You might want to know... Dec 7, 2006

... that I contacted SDL about this (that they don't announce the fact that the certification expires), and I got this answer:

"The cost of upgrading the SDL TRADOS Certification to the latest version is will be nominal; we want to keep this to an absolute minimum as the objective here is not to make money. It is simply to ensure that SDL TRADOS Certified users truly learn about and how to make the most of the feature enhancements of a new release."

Ehmm... yeah, right... If they care so much about us and our knowledge of the product, AND the object is not money-making, why not make it free? It's all automated, right? Plus we do pay A LOT for these programs. That the online teaching is not free is all right, but come on...

AND the fellow didn't specify the cost of upgrading either, only said it was nominal, whatever that is.

Pavel Lyakhovsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:01
Member (2006)
English to Russian
I find it useful Jan 4, 2007

Dear colleagues,

Being a legal Trados user since 2003 I decided to take this Trados certification and found it quite useful. First, it made me to go through some tough sections of Trados software (like DTD-settings files, etc.).

Second, I raised my rates from 0.08 Euro per word to 0.10 Euro per word (quite a lot for English to Russian translations) and more and more clients agree with this rate seeing I'm Trados certified. The reason is many translators say they know Trados, but only some of them know "ins and outs" of it. And I must admit, the exam is not an easy thing to pass although I've been using Trados for a long time.

However, I don't like the idea to re-exam when new versions appear. I think I will say I'm certified for SDL Trados 2006 and this will be a proof of my qualification for Trados 2008 etc. unless a new version will be a breakthrough in translation technology.

But, again, basically I feel it was very useful for me and brought me new clients.

Best regards,
Pavel

samvietnam  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:01
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Useful of course Feb 17, 2008

I agree with Lyakhovsky. Exams are useful in the sense that they force us to practice to pass. Having good Trados skills is like having good skills in word processors, it helps us work much faster and automate many works. I am newly certified and I think knowledge of language is not enough, we need more to be professional translators.
However, if we have to retake exams whenever new version comes, it would be a trouble.

[Edited at 2008-02-17 18:21]

[Edited at 2008-02-17 18:22]

Helen Li  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 11:01
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Think it will be useful Feb 19, 2008

Hi, I am totally new to Trados at this point of time, but plan to get the certification. I saw the following offer price from Trados website at http://www.translationzone.com/en/Products/SDLTrados2007/specialoffer/default.asp, is it a good deal?

SDL Trados 2007 + 1 live web delivered training session + Certification exams for each level=$995 (save up to $600)

For those who have already got the Trados certification, would you please share how you start leaning Trados? by training or self-learning? Many thanks!

Blanca Matas Güell
Germany
German to Catalan
+ ...
Do I need Trados? Sep 30, 2015

Today I did a webbinar from SDL Trados and now I wanted to do the exam but apparently I need to have to program. Is it so? I just want to do the exam and get the certification, the program I don´t have it in my computer. It is to learn more and to have more CV.

Blanca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL-Trados Certification what do you think?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs