Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
gay translators only?
Thread poster: Rubén de la Fuente

Rubén de la Fuente  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 26, 2002

Hi, guys. Don\'t know if you had a look yet at this job http://www.proz.com/job?id=26947 It involves the translation of a gay web site and therefore they request \"only gay translators\". It\'s kind of shocking (sounds a bit like segregation to me, really). I understand a translator must be familiar with the topic covered by the text, but that does not imply being gay, in this case. What if I\'m not gay, but I have tons of gay friends and therefore know a lot about \"gay culture\" (geez, labels, kind of hate them). Wouldn\'t that be a sort of discrimination? and how are they going to find out if I apply for the job that I\'m not gay? Should I take a gayness test or something like that? Probably I\'m going too far here, I just wanted to find out what you guys thought.

Direct link

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
Gay and lesbian translation Sep 26, 2002

I think they want to ensure that the translated material is attractive to gay and lesbian people (after all they want to make a living too!). I think they just worded it a bit off. I think if you have experience with gay/lesbian terminology, they will not have a problem letting you do the translation.

Direct link

Richard Flight  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree, but Sep 26, 2002

some years back, I wound up getting a couple of jobs translating beauty-product copy written for women, by women, and, as a man, couldn\'t help knowing a woman translator would have done a much better job. I guess there\'s just a sort of sensitivity you have or you don\'t have - not that a \"non-gays needn\'t apply\" posting shows much sensitivity, though

Direct link

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check the "coop" forum Sep 26, 2002

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=5308&forum=23&6

...there\'s an earlier thread regarding the same issue.

Direct link

cheungmo
English to French
+ ...
Native language Sep 26, 2002

Quoting from the ad:

> Texts contain gay and lesbian expressions

> that have to be translated into \'family\'

> friendly language.

Normally, one asks that the translator\'s \"native\" language be the same as the target language. The target language is \"\'family\' friendly language\", which I assume means \"non-gay and PC\".

Draw your own conclusion.

I\'m not even going to speak about the very obvious fact that this advertisement is completely illegal in many countries, including the one where ProZ\'s server is.

Seeing as this is the second time Academia posts this sort of job offer, perhaps we should bounce this thread at them, asking for comments?

Pierre

Direct link

French2English
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Unfortunate choice of terminology Sep 26, 2002

I think the point is that the ad should have said \'gay translators PREFERRED\' rather than \'gay translators ONLY\'. When the term \'preferred\' is used, discrimination is not an issue. It is understandable that they should prefer someone familiar with the gay/lesbian lingo though - which is as dynamic as \'straight\' lingo, after all!

Direct link

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 11:53
English
+ ...
Well, have you actually got lots of gay friends? Sep 26, 2002

Personally, I\'ve always experienced that women are God greatest gift to men, but I know enough gays to understand their neurosis.

Direct link

Atenea Acevedo  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Arthur... Sep 26, 2002

...is your comment a bad joke or a serious statement? Come on!!!

Direct link

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 05:53
Japanese to English
+ ...
You really need to be gay to translate their site Sep 26, 2002

Because a straight guy would just be frustrated with every second sentence and - perhaps even unconsciously - slip in his own opinion.

I was once asked to do a \'gay\' piece and turned it down for the very same reason. Just wasn\'t sure I would be at ease or able to do it impartially.

These clients know this and wisely ask for an \"insider\". I see their point.

Direct link

arterm  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:53
Member (2002)
English to Russian
not PC comment from Russia Sep 26, 2002

We would never take up that job and woul never regret.

Speaking about God - he would not be very happy if a believer translates the text like that.

Honestly. Will PRoz.com post allow Satanic or Usama Ben ladan translations?

Direct link

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Gayspeak as a Linguistic Phenomenon Sep 26, 2002

A short introduction might help:

http://lett.ubbcluj.ro/~echinox/arhiva/2000_123/22.html

Direct link

OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
What God? Sep 27, 2002

If there is one it must have forsaken you

Direct link

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 11:53
English
+ ...
Perhaps both! Sep 27, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-26 19:09, milanek wrote:

...is your comment a bad joke or a serious statement? Come on!!!

It was a way of saying my own preference is heterosexual, but that de facto exclusion exists in pretty much most areas of life, and that I might as well live with it: why run around claiming a human right to gatecrash anybody\'s social circle?

Awfully sorry if the joke was bad tho.

Direct link

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just some bad wording and nothing to get overheated about Sep 27, 2002

The outsourcer should indeed have picked his words a bit better.

I\'ll close the thread later today before the heat reaches unprecedented heights

[addsig]

Direct link

airmailrpl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:53
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
'gay translators only?' Sep 27, 2002

>how are they going to find out if I apply for >the job that I\'m not gay? Should I take a >gayness test or something like that?

If you apply for the job, let us know what the \'gayness\' test was like!!!

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

gay translators only?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs