https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/53490-insurance_to_take_out_or_not_to_take_out.html

Insurance, to take out or not to take out?
Thread poster: Anne Key
Anne Key
Anne Key
Local time: 15:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 17, 2006

Hello everyone,

This is my first ever post on this forum - I hope I've selected the right forum!

My query relates to (professional indemnity) insurance.

I have been working as a freelance translator for almost 8 years and to date have had no problems (touch wood).

However, I was recently advised to take out insurance "just in case" (by, surprise, surprise, an insurance company!)

Have any of you taken out insurance and, if so, woul
... See more
Hello everyone,

This is my first ever post on this forum - I hope I've selected the right forum!

My query relates to (professional indemnity) insurance.

I have been working as a freelance translator for almost 8 years and to date have had no problems (touch wood).

However, I was recently advised to take out insurance "just in case" (by, surprise, surprise, an insurance company!)

Have any of you taken out insurance and, if so, would you recommend it?

I'm based in the UK - are there any good insurance companies here that are willing to take on freelance translators?

All suggestions / replies welcome!

Many thanks,

Anne
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Comments Aug 17, 2006

There have been quite a few comments on the subject of liability insurance here, but in one of the last ones I saw it was noted that no one has yet verified any case where a translator has ever been held liable for his/her work.

Certainly I am not aware of any.

You might ask the insurance company if they have ever had any such claims. Probably they are just trying to sell you a bill of goods.

Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
I took one out Aug 17, 2006

Hi there,

Like you I have been working as a freelancer for many years and never took out any insurance and never had any problems.

However, since I went full time from last year, I started working for many agencies and decided to take one out after all. Many contracts I have with agencies mention that translators are advised to take out liability insurance and for the sake of just over 100GBP I felt it was worth it for peace of mind.

Although, likely, I d
... See more
Hi there,

Like you I have been working as a freelancer for many years and never took out any insurance and never had any problems.

However, since I went full time from last year, I started working for many agencies and decided to take one out after all. Many contracts I have with agencies mention that translators are advised to take out liability insurance and for the sake of just over 100GBP I felt it was worth it for peace of mind.

Although, likely, I did not need to use it, renewal is up and I shall go for it again. With a bit of luck I'll never need to use it but for a small amount I feel a bit "safer".

Hope this helps!

Best of luck!
Collapse

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cover available Aug 18, 2006

Hi Anne,

I have had PI insurance for a few years. The reason for this is not because I felt that I would ever need the coverage, as, indeed, there has never been a claim under my PI policy. The reason for taking it out is that one of my main clients - an international insurance broker - only uses translators who can prove that they have such insurance.

Whilst the level of coverage that this broker asks for is now quite high and involves a not unsubstantial premium, the
... See more
Hi Anne,

I have had PI insurance for a few years. The reason for this is not because I felt that I would ever need the coverage, as, indeed, there has never been a claim under my PI policy. The reason for taking it out is that one of my main clients - an international insurance broker - only uses translators who can prove that they have such insurance.

Whilst the level of coverage that this broker asks for is now quite high and involves a not unsubstantial premium, the level of business that they offer me, combined with my level of rating to them, makes this a very good relationship, and, in the extremely unlikely event that I should ever need to use the PI cover, it is, of course, available for my translation work with all clients, and may provide peace of mind for some of them.

I have used a couple of brokers that provide such coverage in the UK, mainly under PI schemes. I have changed brokers over the last year as the limit that my insurance broker client required for the current year meant that the first broker that I used had become too expensive because the limit exceeded the scheme limit and the part over and above that limit became excessively expensive.

If you're interested in finding out the details of these brokers that provide PI coverage, please drop me an email and I'll be pleased to let you have the relevant info.
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Companies Aug 18, 2006

I'm based in the UK - are there any good insurance companies here that are willing to take on freelance translators?

There is a company (MFL) that offers indemnity insurance to translators through the ITI (www.iti.org.uk) - the premiums are reasonable and the policy is specific to our work. I'd recommend them (though I didn't research very thoroughly myself - I acted on recommendation from someone else).

This is available to all ITI members (I am an associate and was able to take out cover). Not sure if you are one, but there are lots of good things about the ITI anyway...

As Paul says, some clients require translators to have insurance, or prefer that they do. I took out cover on this basis.

Anne Key
Anne Key
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Many thanks Aug 31, 2006

Many thanks for your replies - I'll certainly be looking into getting insurance in the near future!

All the best,

Anne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Insurance, to take out or not to take out?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »