Quality Assurance procedures
Thread poster: lucysebastian
lucysebastian
lucysebastian
Local time: 07:05
English to Arabic
Aug 26, 2006

Hello

Today, I was contacted by a company. The company asked for details on "quality assurance"

What does "quality assurance" mean?

Do I have to get a certificate from a certain institution that states that there is quality to my translation?

Is there an international test that reveals excellent quality for any translator who carries out the test?

What are the qualiy assurance details.

I know nothing about that and wou
... See more
Hello

Today, I was contacted by a company. The company asked for details on "quality assurance"

What does "quality assurance" mean?

Do I have to get a certificate from a certain institution that states that there is quality to my translation?

Is there an international test that reveals excellent quality for any translator who carries out the test?

What are the qualiy assurance details.

I know nothing about that and would appreciate your kind help on this matter.

Does being certified translator or credited translator mean that there is quality assurance?

Thanks
Sebastian

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-08-26 15:47]
Collapse

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:05
English to Greek
+ ...
Quality Assurance Procedures Aug 26, 2006

Presuming your are a freelancer and not an agency, they mean the process you use to assure the quality of your translations (in terms of terminology, consistency, proofing, etc.).

If you are an agency, then that is an entirely different thing. Most large agencies have quality assurance certificates issued by approved and recognised bodies in their countries such as Bureau Veritas, Lloyd's and the local ISOs). It is a lengthy and ongoing process.

Hope this is clear enou
... See more
Presuming your are a freelancer and not an agency, they mean the process you use to assure the quality of your translations (in terms of terminology, consistency, proofing, etc.).

If you are an agency, then that is an entirely different thing. Most large agencies have quality assurance certificates issued by approved and recognised bodies in their countries such as Bureau Veritas, Lloyd's and the local ISOs). It is a lengthy and ongoing process.

Hope this is clear enough.

Have a nice weekend,
Nadia
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
What I understand Aug 26, 2006

lucysebastian wrote:

The company asked for details on "quality assurance"

is a description of your work procedures, particularly with regards to controlling quality of translation (external proofreading by way of double-check, style editing if applicable, back translation if applicable, etc.).

Certified companies usually have undergone a systematic external auditing of their work procedures. If you are not a company, then a parallel process is probably what they refer to.

Hope it helps.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 06:05
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Maybe only targeted at agencies Aug 26, 2006

Also, before it causes you too much headache, make sure this is really meant for you to fill out (ask them if necessary).
Many agencies use the same form for both agencies and translators, and it's possible that you're not required to fill in all fields.

lucysebastian
lucysebastian
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
How to provide details? Aug 26, 2006

Great welcome to you

I am a freelancer not agency.

Here, do I have to submit documents on quality assurance?
Or, Just I write how to ensure a good quality of the translation work?

Thanks
Sebastian

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 08:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
The workflow since you start work till you finish translation Aug 27, 2006

lucysebastian wrote:

Here, do I have to submit documents on quality assurance?
Or, Just I write how to ensure a good quality of the translation work?

Thanks
Sebastian

I do think your client needs nothing more than the procedures you follow to come up with a quality translation. For instance:
- Do you double check your translation yourself?
- Do you have another translator to review your work?
- Do you use CAT tools to avoid missing segments?
- Do you review your work based on hard copies or softcopies, or both?
So if you follow any of the above procedures or otherwise you can advise your client of the same.

Best wishes
Ahmed Wadan
http://www.arablish.com/ahmad-wadan.htm

[Edited at 2006-08-27 11:18]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quality Assurance procedures

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »