Professional Indemnity Insurance cover outside the UK?
Thread poster: Georgina Izzard
Georgina Izzard
Georgina Izzard
Local time: 06:37
French to English
Aug 29, 2006

I work freelance as a FR>EN translator and I’m considering purchasing PII, as I have been advised that if I want to set up a website to advertise my services, I need to have this cover.

Can anyone recommend an insurance company who can offer a PII policy to cover me for work that I undertake for clients based outside of the UK?

Thanks in advance!

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
outside the UK Aug 29, 2006

I have the cover that's available through the ITI, and that covers me for clients within and outside the UK. There is one exception, though - if more than 10% of my income comes from clients in the US, I have to declare this (and presumably premiums become higher as a result). This is presumably because of greater litigiousness over there...

Georgina Izzard
Georgina Izzard
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Professioanl Indemnity Insurance Aug 29, 2006

Thanks Angela, I'll look into that!
I'm a member of the IoL and I got a quote from their insurance company but even with the discount it seems quite high (£295.31 p.a. for £100k cover) and I'm not sure that that even covers work undertaken for clients outside the UK.

Thanks for your help.

Angela Dickson wrote:

I have the cover that's available through the ITI, and that covers me for clients within and outside the UK. There is one exception, though - if more than 10% of my income comes from clients in the US, I have to declare this (and presumably premiums become higher as a result). This is presumably because of greater litigiousness over there...

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
premiums Aug 30, 2006

The cover through the ITI is much cheaper than that (though I can't lay my hand on the policy at the minute), and I get more cover... I recommend getting ITI associateship or membership, and getting cover that way.

I'm sure there are other companies offering PI cover for freelancers, so perhaps others can chime in with opinions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional Indemnity Insurance cover outside the UK?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »