Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Agency requests copy of diploma. Unusual?
Thread poster: Ben Dooley
Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:15
German to English
+ ...
I'm not quite sure that I understand your point Sep 20, 2006

Trevor Butcher wrote:

Well, I have some possible alternative scenarios:

snip

But remember, a diploma is nothing more than a dim opal.

Trevor

I didn't mean to imply there aren't any good reasons to ask a translator for a diploma, and I'm aware there are varying attitudes about this depending on the culture (I've taught intercultural training for some years), it's just that I feel my references are far more credible as proof of my work quality than a diploma from 25 years ago could be. I also have no problems with doing a short test - but just to have a complete file seems a little thin as a reason for me to scramble around in dusty old boxes from the distant past, and you can judge that however you like. I would probably make more of an effort if the reason made more sense to me.

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Why not? Sep 20, 2006

Sometimes Agencies have to complete some papers concerning the translator for a tender, "to what extent they are able to deliver good work by having qualified translators". As Heinrich said "burocratical".
Certifications & reference letters here come first beside credentials & samples.

What do you think about asking for invoices of previous work?

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
you should ask for the agency´s credentials Sep 20, 2006

He there
like iso, ata, bdü or the similar or lisa and so on, just check their website and listen to the market. best Brandis

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 14:15
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Rare but acceptable request Sep 21, 2006

In my own experience, I have never been asked for my qualifications. Most of the time, the agencies or direct clients just ask for a test translation, my CV and sample translations.
However, their request is reasonable.

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 00:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Re: Anything can be faked Sep 21, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Ben wrote:
An agency I applied to has asked for a copy of my university diploma. I find this somewhat unusual. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

I have never had an agency request proof of my qualifications, but if any of them would do that, then I would tell them to amend my CV to exclude that qualification, and then decide if they'd be willing to hire me, based on what's left. I don't keep copies of my qualifications handy.

Your title is the real point. It is quite naive of the agency to ask for a copy of the diploma, since with a copy, it would be a simple matter to insert your name in someone else's diploma or create a desktop replica.

I have never been asked for a copy of mine, although I have it hanging on the wall of my study. If some control-freak were to ask, I would tell them that for their peace of mind, I recommend that they confirm it directly with the registrar of the University, due to the extreme ease of counterfeiting credentials nowadays. And if they persisted, I would not accept them as a client. I prefer to work with real professionals who are a lot smarter than to ask for something like that.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency requests copy of diploma. Unusual?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »