Website name
Thread poster: katherine zawadzka

katherine zawadzka
Local time: 09:57
Italian to English
Sep 21, 2006

Not sure this is the right forum but anyway...can anyone tell me how it's possible to tell if a website/business name has already been registered? I know it's a rather wide-ranging question but am trying to avoid any problems before I go ahead and pick a name.

Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:57
English to Swedish
Check domain names Sep 21, 2006

Here you can check if domain names are available, mainly UK: http://www.domaincheck.co.uk/

Best regards,
Cecilia

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Check it on a WHOIS Sep 21, 2006

Hi Katherine,

You could look up the name you are thinking of using:

http://www.uwhois.com/cgi/domains.cgi?User=NoAds

HTH

Giles

Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 18:57
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Don't hesitate too long... Sep 21, 2006

Hi Katherine,

I've been reading recently that there appears to be a growing trend in people registering sites that people search the availability of, in a way of making a quick profit.

I'm not sure how they do it but using you as an example. You have decided on a great domain name for your new business website. You search to see if the domain is available and you find it is at $x amount per year or whatever the rate is. Maybe you decide to wait a while before registering it yourself because you want to make sure that is the name you want so a few days later you go ahead and search for it again with the intention of registering it. Lo and behold the domain has now been registered by someone else. They can then put the domain up for sale at a higher price because they know there is a particular demand for this domain name.

I don't mean to imply this will happen in your case but it may be something to think about before you actually start searching the availability. Are you ready to register it immediately?

Good luck and best wishes,
Mark

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Domain thieves Sep 21, 2006

Lo and behold the domain has now been registered by someone else.

I can confirm it. It happened to me this week, a domain has been registered based on my whois search. Be ready to register immediately.

See related discussion

Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
specialized sites: Sep 21, 2006

I´d recommend to take a look here:

http://www.sitepoint.com/subcat/domain-names

and here:

http://www.webdesigntalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26

There is a lot of discussion and experience where you can profit from...

Trevor Butcher
English
Really? Sep 22, 2006

So if you do a search for a potential domain name there is a chance that someone else will buy it? Hmm, does this mean I can do searches for domain names I do not want, and someone may waste their cash buying it with the the intention of selling it to me? Good, I have a bit of free time this weekend

Trevor

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Really Sep 22, 2006

Trevor Butcher wrote:

So if you do a search for a potential domain name there is a chance that someone else will buy it?

They don't buy it, they just reserve it. There is some time allowed before the payment is made. They don't make the payment, of course, but they can drop the domain and reserve it for another subject immediately. This ping-pong could go on forever.

katherine zawadzka
Local time: 09:57
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 22, 2006

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Seems like the few ideas I did have have already been registered, so it's back to the drawing board!

Didn't realise it was quite so complicated...the 'ping-ponging' sounds like a great alternative to tetris though

Really appreciate the hints and tips - great to have some guidance.

Clare

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website name

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs