Have you ever hired a colleague?
Thread poster: Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:49
German to English
Sep 30, 2006

It's been said that he has a fool for a tailor who presses his own suits. Have you ever hired a colleague to translate a document for you? If you have, how much did you pay her or him per word? Did you pay promptly? Did the translator deliver on schedule? Did the translation satisfy you?

It's also been said that doctors make the worst patients. Do you think the translator considered you a good client?

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:49
French to Spanish
+ ...
A lot, yes. Sep 30, 2006

Since I have too many work, I must hire colleagues, yes.
Of course, they must match my quality standards, so I know I won't need to proof read too much and don't waste my time... I do have meetings with them to set up those standards, of course.
They are not only colleagues, they are almost friends, because I depend on them and because they know I'm a good client.
I pay them always on time (no more than 15 days after delivery, even if my direct client hasn't, yes!), and someth
... See more
Since I have too many work, I must hire colleagues, yes.
Of course, they must match my quality standards, so I know I won't need to proof read too much and don't waste my time... I do have meetings with them to set up those standards, of course.
They are not only colleagues, they are almost friends, because I depend on them and because they know I'm a good client.
I pay them always on time (no more than 15 days after delivery, even if my direct client hasn't, yes!), and something like 20 % above average wages.
That's the price for quality and fast jobs done.
No, they never let me down. If they can't do the job because they are too busy too, they tell me straight on. No problem.
And what do I earn over their work, well, that's classified, of course.
Just let me say: they earn good money, and me too.

Regards.
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
yes...and I'm happy; hope they are... Oct 1, 2006

I've hired 3 ProZ colleagues to help me out, and in each case, the decision to share the work was the right choice to make.

All three were very professional, competent, and pleasant to work with. One went out of her way to help me by sharing her extensive knowledge, and she charged very little.

I hope I've been an acceptable client. I just lost someone's invoice, but he asked, and I found it, and yesterday I took the check to the post office and mailed it (really.
... See more
I've hired 3 ProZ colleagues to help me out, and in each case, the decision to share the work was the right choice to make.

All three were very professional, competent, and pleasant to work with. One went out of her way to help me by sharing her extensive knowledge, and she charged very little.

I hope I've been an acceptable client. I just lost someone's invoice, but he asked, and I found it, and yesterday I took the check to the post office and mailed it (really...the check is in the mail).

When I've tried to share work with non-ProZers, the experiences have not been good. I need professionals, not "aspiring professionals" or people who think that because they are bilingual, it automatically qualifies them to be a translator.

KudoZ answers are a little like sampling people's wares--you get to know a person's writing style, area of expertise, and even a bit about temperament. So, if I need help in the future, I will definitely look here first.
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:49
Russian to English
+ ...
I'm a bit confused Oct 1, 2006

I work for a translation agency. We hire people to translate documents. We do pay as agreed and usually the translators deliver work as agreed, doing good work. If they don't, we stop hiring them.

I'm not sure I understood your question. Were you proposing to hire someone other than a translator to translate a document?

I don't see anything wrong with outsourcing work, although you should inform your client that you're doing so. You should take appropriate steps
... See more
I work for a translation agency. We hire people to translate documents. We do pay as agreed and usually the translators deliver work as agreed, doing good work. If they don't, we stop hiring them.

I'm not sure I understood your question. Were you proposing to hire someone other than a translator to translate a document?

I don't see anything wrong with outsourcing work, although you should inform your client that you're doing so. You should take appropriate steps to ensure that you're dealing with competent people.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I usually hire colleagues to translate the opposite way round Oct 1, 2006

I translate DE-EN, and hire colleagues for work that comes in that is EN-DE. I have had very good experience with this, and on the whole been very impressed by the high standards of my colleagues and the care that they take over the translations. I pay them either as soon as the client pays me, or otherwise, in any event, within 30 days.

The best part about it has been getting to know these colleagues quite well in the process, thus making new friends. Then I have the opportunity to
... See more
I translate DE-EN, and hire colleagues for work that comes in that is EN-DE. I have had very good experience with this, and on the whole been very impressed by the high standards of my colleagues and the care that they take over the translations. I pay them either as soon as the client pays me, or otherwise, in any event, within 30 days.

The best part about it has been getting to know these colleagues quite well in the process, thus making new friends. Then I have the opportunity to meet them at Proz conferences.

Astrid
Collapse

Maria Luisa Duarte
Maria Luisa Duarte
Spain
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Outsourcing to a colleague Oct 1, 2006

Paul Merriam wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with outsourcing work, although you should inform your client that you're doing so.

There is nothing wrong with outsorcing and there is no need to inform anyone. what you have to make sure, is that the end product is of the same quality, as the one you output.

Regards

MLD

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:49
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Yes Oct 1, 2006

Yes, once so far. I needed someone to translate my father's business website into another language and I found a translator through Proz.com. Later she asked me to do a translation from her native language into mine, so I also gained a job from this relationship. I paid her the rates she asked.

I never have and probably never will outsource any jobs, as all my (other) clients are agencies and I think it's their job t
... See more
Yes, once so far. I needed someone to translate my father's business website into another language and I found a translator through Proz.com. Later she asked me to do a translation from her native language into mine, so I also gained a job from this relationship. I paid her the rates she asked.

I never have and probably never will outsource any jobs, as all my (other) clients are agencies and I think it's their job to find a translator if I'm not available. Of course, if I knew a colleague who might be available, I would recommend him/her.

"There is nothing wrong with outsorcing and there is no need to inform anyone. what you have to make sure, is that the end product is of the same quality, as the one you output."

I think you should inform your agencies if you are going to outsource their projects. At least in some contracts I have it is clearly said that outsourcing is not permitted without a prior written consent from the agency.

[Edited at 2006-10-01 17:32]
Collapse

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Re: I'm a bit confused Oct 1, 2006

Actually, outsourcing wasn't what I originally had in mind. I was thinking more about a situation in which, for example, you need to have your university transcript translated. Or you need to populate the non-native language pages of your web site.

Then there's education. I've actually considered hiring a translator in my language pair to translate a small, arbitrary text just to learn first hand how he or she conducts business and interacts with a client.

Sybille Brückner
Sybille Brückner  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Outsourcing to a colleague Oct 1, 2006

I agree with Maria that there is no need to inform my client about asking another translator for help, because I take over the responsibility for the translation delivered (and, of course, proofread it before delivery).
I am also oursourcing most translations from German into English, or some from English into German, if there are too many jobs at a time.
They delivered on schedule and in most cases, payment was made by me earlier than the 30 days' term I agreed with my customer.... See more
I agree with Maria that there is no need to inform my client about asking another translator for help, because I take over the responsibility for the translation delivered (and, of course, proofread it before delivery).
I am also oursourcing most translations from German into English, or some from English into German, if there are too many jobs at a time.
They delivered on schedule and in most cases, payment was made by me earlier than the 30 days' term I agreed with my customer.

Their translation satisfied me, in general, and if really there are some things to be altered I discuss it with them.

Sybille
Collapse

majmunka (X)
majmunka (X)
Local time: 23:49
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
outsourcing to a colleague Oct 2, 2006

I agree with Sybille - since I have accepted the job, I am responsible for delivering it in a manner that i see fit, even if this means passing on some of the work to a colleague. Of course before handing it in, it is all checked and proofread by me - this is a part I do not entrust with anyone else

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you ever hired a colleague?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »