Thread poster: laurem
laurem
laurem  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:37
English to French
+ ...
Oct 18, 2006

I have been contacted by a translation agency to work on a long-term project (we talk about 8-9 months of full-time work).

The draft contract I have received states that the translator will be held responsible in case of termination of employment or bad performance. I can see the point of the agency that wants to protect itself.

But is it normal practice? Souldn't there be a clause to free myself without being held responsible (whether in case of sickness or because o
... See more
I have been contacted by a translation agency to work on a long-term project (we talk about 8-9 months of full-time work).

The draft contract I have received states that the translator will be held responsible in case of termination of employment or bad performance. I can see the point of the agency that wants to protect itself.

But is it normal practice? Souldn't there be a clause to free myself without being held responsible (whether in case of sickness or because of another terrific proposal that pays double )

I am just curious to have your point of view and possible experience on long-term contracts.

Thanks
Laurence
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:37
English to Greek
+ ...
Just and opinion Oct 18, 2006

But is it normal practice?

I think it is, or should be. They want to be sure that you will stay the distance and not lea
... See more

But is it normal practice?

I think it is, or should be. They want to be sure that you will stay the distance and not leave them if someone comes to offer you twice the money for another job. They should be paying well to entice you way from freelancing for 8-9 months, anyway. Ultimately it is your decision - no?

Lina
Collapse

Clara Duarte
Clara Duarte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Assessing daily work load Oct 18, 2006

Angeliki,

In case the agency hasn't mentioned it, perhaps you should discuss with them what is the load of work they are to establish per day, so that you can protect yourself from having to work almost exclusively for the agency and be prevented to take on other jobs.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:07
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
It is your decision and nobody else's Oct 19, 2006

In a similar scenario, I told the agency in clear terms that I will be able to commit just 1000 words per day for its work. My daily capacity is 2000-2500 words per day. In that way I am sure to be able to cater to other clients as well.

I will also negotiate to get paid at regular intervals. Such a project is sure to have many files. I will be raising the bills as when a predetermined number of words is crossed. Payment has to be done within a tight timeframe, say after 10 working
... See more
In a similar scenario, I told the agency in clear terms that I will be able to commit just 1000 words per day for its work. My daily capacity is 2000-2500 words per day. In that way I am sure to be able to cater to other clients as well.

I will also negotiate to get paid at regular intervals. Such a project is sure to have many files. I will be raising the bills as when a predetermined number of words is crossed. Payment has to be done within a tight timeframe, say after 10 working days. No payment, the commitment to daily 1000 words is no longer valid.

One thing you should not do is to agree to give any discount whatsoever in view of the large work. They are not doing any favor to you by giving such big work. They are doing themselves a favor by ensuring uninterrupted service in the form of 1000 words per day. Hence it will be in your interest not to give any discount, as otherwise there will be conflict of interest between this lower rate and the normal rate you get elsewhere.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Manuel Rossetti (X)
Manuel Rossetti (X)
Local time: 14:37
REply : long term contract Oct 19, 2006

Raghavan wrote:

I will also negotiate to get paid at regular intervals. Such a project is sure to have many files. I will be raising the bills as when a predetermined number of words is crossed. Payment has to be done within a tight timeframe, say after 10 working days. No payment, the commitment to daily 1000 words is no longer valid.

One thing you should not do is to agree to give any discount whatsoever in view of the large work. They are not doing any favor to you by giving such big work. They are doing themselves a favor by ensuring uninterrupted service in the form of 1000 words per day. Hence it will be in your interest not to give any discount, as otherwise there will be conflict of interest between this lower rate and the normal rate you get elsewhere.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

My opinion- I wouldnt do it.
I've had two opportunities in the past, a while back, both were from other freelancers posing as an agency (lousy website) outsourcing their work for dirt cheap rates and a contract that I was fully responsible for just about everything including holding out for the 1 year contract! I couldnt back out or else I'd be responsible and would owe them the money that I'd otherwise make. I searched and found the resume of one of the outsourcers and according to their rates for that language pair and subject area, I'd get paid for doing the job .03USD per word and they (doing nothing) would get paid .07USD for every word I translated. Furthermore, I'd get paid according to what the outsourcer considered as the final say on word count, and any disagreement on their end.

It was an odd job too. One that I had to go through the different search engines, pick out news from a certain suject matter and translate 2000 words per day. (I had to search the stuff myself and then contact the outsourcer to see if it was proper to translate what I had picked).

I dont deal with garbage any more. I simply block-out the email address.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Long-term contract

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »