Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:57
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 19, 2006

Hi,

Well, as most of us are aware the Supreme Court of India has decided to notify a list of professionals who can operate from home and Translators/ Interpreters are not part of this list.

In fact, as we don't have any association in India we are unrepresented. In view of this fact, I'd like to request ALL Translators/ Language Professionals, especially Indian Translators/ Language Professionals, to approach various media organisation and publish our views so that Translators are also included in that list... which, in its present form, has only Doctors, Lawyers and the like.

Those who are not in India / are not Indian can support us by writing to the Editors of various Indian Dailies, like
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/specials/htmedia/contact/index.shtml

or

feedback@hindustantimes.com

Thanks,

Ritu Bhanot

Direct link Reply with quote

jelly_gill  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:27
Member (2006)
English to Panjabi
+ ...
Well done... Oct 19, 2006

Dear Ritu...

It is nice of you to raise this issue here so as to make all of us aware of the Supreme Court verdict. I fully support you on this issue and will do everything I can to highlight the issue in the media.

Keep it up!!

Jarnail Singh Gill

Susanne Schnitzler  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Association in India? Oct 19, 2006

Dear Ritu,

the question may be dull (I would prefer "innocent") - but: If you do not have an association in India, wouldn't it be a great time to found one?

Perhaps everyone of us who owns a website or blog could put an article online? You and your Indian collegues could write (or sign) it - we could perhaps translate it if necessary. At least I would do it, if it helps.

Yours
Susanne

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
More information? Oct 19, 2006

Ritu Bhanot wrote:
Well, as most of us are aware the Supreme Court of India has decided to notify a list of professionals who can operate from home and Translators/ Interpreters are not part of this list.

Perhaps you could illuminate those of us who don't keep abreast of the latest legal news in India

But I'm having difficulty getting my head round the notion that a court can decide who can work from home or not. Obviously, certain occupations cannot be undertaken at home for health and safety reasons, while others are simply not feasible, but perhaps you could explain how this issue came to court in the first place. And if freelance translators can't operate from home, where then? The middle of the road?

TIA,
Robin

France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
List of Professionals who are allowed to work from home Oct 19, 2006

Reference Times of India 12/10/2006 and 19/10/2006 (page 1-More People can Work from Home, Page 2- Home office closer)

Earlier list had just Doctors, Engineers and Lawyers... but according to the new list there has been a move to include the following professionals in this list released in TOI of 19/10/2006:

Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants, Architects, Musicians, Photographers, Dancers, Teachers-tutors, Journalists, Management Consultants, IT professionals, authors, graphic designers, systems analysts.

Please note that translators are not there in this extended list... No mention of our profession.

Well, according to the court all professionals should operate from commercial premises only those in this list are exempted. It started as a drive against traders who operated from their home... but now...

I tried to find these news items in the online version but couldn't... so I'm giving reference of paper version for all those who are interested.

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Are freelancers to be banned from working at home? Oct 19, 2006

Hi Ritu,

I am afraid I don't really understand the consequences this court decision will have. Does this mean that freelance translators and all other freelancers in India will be forbidden to work from home?

I hope not!

Best wishes,
Stefanie

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Lack of awareness/negligence on the part of the court? Oct 19, 2006

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:
I am afraid I don't really understand the consequences this court decision will have. Does this mean that freelance translators and all other freelancers in India will be forbidden to work from home?

Hi Ritu, Stefanie,

I tend to think that the fact that our profession was not mentioned in this court decision is due to a lack of awareness/negligence on the part of the court.

How should they know if no association has been founded yet in your country that would be able to advocate translators' interests?

Steffen

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Agree with Steffen Oct 19, 2006

I agree wholeheartedly with Steffen here. It was highly unlikely to be a deliberate decision by the court, merely an oversight. I find it very difficult to believe that the court would have denied "home office" status to translators if the issue had been brought to its attention.

Presuming that the court's business is known in advance, i.e. that a ruling of this sort was in the offing, surely it could have been lobbied to include translators in the list. But if, as Ritu says, there's no high-level translators association, then who would have argued the case for translators?

Ritu: aren't there even any local or state translators associations in India that could come together at national level? If not, then maybe it's about time you got started, especially given your central government's plans to train several hundred thousand translators (quite why, I don't know, because I'm not convinced there will be work for them all - at least as translators - once they've finished training).

Robin

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Consider other professionals as well Oct 19, 2006

Noting that India has come to the fore in software development, not to mention other occupations that might lend themselves to working from home, you might also consider an alliance with other professions that have been excluded from this draconian imposition.

By the way, how much time are you sentenced to if they catch you working at home at your computer?

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 19:57
English to Russian
+ ...
Doctors operating from home? Oct 19, 2006

Nice:-o

However, none of the accounting software I'm aware of specifies Translation either. Management consultant (Consulting services in the U.S. ) is your easy way out - covers anything and everything.

Refugio
Local time: 17:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translators as authors Oct 20, 2006

Even if the court does not change its opinion, it could be argued that translators fall under the general classification of authors. We write new versions, in a different language, of original texts. Anyone who disputes this should take a look at machine translations.

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Fully agree, Ruth Oct 20, 2006

Ruth Henderson wrote:
... it could be argued that translators fall under the general classification of authors.

You're making a very good point here, with which I fully agree. Whether translators are then published authors or not is another matter entirely.

Steffen

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
English to Tamil
+ ...
Translators are included among authors Oct 21, 2006

I remember my translation cplleague telling me this way back in the eighties. At that time there was this section 88C of the income tax act, which specified a limit of Rs. 60000 that was eligible for tax savings scheme in the form of deposits in certain bonds.

The limit was Rs. 70000 for authors and at that time it was extended to translators as well. This was mentioned even by the Indian Scientific Translators Association (ISTA) headquarted in New Delhi.

My advice to Ritu will be to leave well alone the things as they are. Otherwise you will be inviting the provision of service tax, VAT etc for the translation profession as well along with other attendant headaches.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Ravi Kumar  Identity Verified
India
Member (2005)
Hindi to English
+ ...
Indian Translators Association Nov 10, 2006

Dear Ritu and respected members,

This is just to bring to your kind notice that there are a group of translators working on founding Indian Translators Association. When you intend to create something big, one has to work hard and many times things move verly slow. I am sure in very near future, you will have good news on this issue.

You may like to visit following site to have more details: http://www.translatorsinitiative.org/translators_association.php

Ravi Kumar

France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 10, 2006

Dear Ravi,

I am talking about an association for the translators, by the translators and of the translators and not one that is ruled by translators' bureau!!!

We work together but we have separate interests.

Ritu

[Edited at 2006-11-10 12:37]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request on Behalf of Indian Translators

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs