Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Client with good and bad blue board entries: what would you do?
Thread poster: Inga Jakobi
Graciela Guzman
Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where are the translators from? Oct 31, 2006

I'd also have a look at the translators' location.

Some agencies pay the translators who live in the same city/country and try no to pay to those who live in other countries, especially when small amounts are involved and it is not worthwhile hiring a collecting agency.

My two cents.
Graciela

Inga Jakobi
Inga Jakobi  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:42
Member (2006)
Chinese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe some entries are a bit exaggerated Nov 1, 2006

I really got some usefull answers here, thanks a lot! I still don't know what I will do, but of course I don't have to take everything I can just because I am new in the business. Maybe I'll check out all the comments, there are probably some that are just exaggerated, maybe some translators weren't reliable either etc. and maybe I'll just try with a small job and see what happens. Maybe not...

Regards and good night!

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Just my 2 cents... Nov 2, 2006

Claudia Krysztofiak wrote:
As someone said in this forum before:
There are agencies that have tests and there are agencies that have work.

I did some test translations when I started working freelance. And though I passed, I never received any work through them!

I have to disagree here; sure, not all agencies asking for test eventually send you work, but most do, and in my experience that's a precondition for any work at all... I think I've only encountered one agency so far that didn't ask for a test, and sure enough they turned out to be somewhat unreliable... So, IMO reliable agencies do ask for tests, others probably won't...

As to the original dilemma, I would agree with maybe doing a small job first and seeing how it goes!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client with good and bad blue board entries: what would you do?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »