Mobile menu

Ongoing translation of incomplete website - how to bill?
Thread poster: Patrick McKeown

Patrick McKeown  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:36
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 22, 2002

I need some advice on how to bill for translating a website. The website is up and running, but certain areas are still under construction. I have prepared a first proposal based on a simple keystroke count (the method this particular client uses) of the available text to be translated. I don\'t really know how I should provide for the content that will be added in the near future. I have to start producing something for them by next week, so in any case they want a proposal they can work with. Has anyone any experience of this kind of billing?

Two other things I have to bear in mind: first, some of the content is updated at regular intervals (tourist information) so the English version will need to be \"maintained\" as well - is there a straightforward way of billing for this; second, some of the content (news flashes) will need translating on the spot (if I\'m available!!). In your opinion, does this count as \"pure\" translation work, or could I realistically argue that it is some form of \"consultancy\"?

If you\'re still with me after all those questions, I\'d be very grateful for any adice you may offer. Thanks in advance, Patrick

Direct link Reply with quote

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
My way Oct 23, 2002

Reap the site with WebReaper 9.8 (http://www.webreaper.net/).

Quote for, and invoice, each single page on the site with PractiCount 1.1 (See advertisement on ProZ).

Use CatsCradle 2.5 (http://www.stormdance.freeserve.co.uk/) for the translation work.

Charge a premium (say + 100 %) price per word for delivering tested and uploadable HTML files.

Invoice monthly!

Best regards,

Sven.

Klaus Dorn
Local time: 22:36
German to English
+ ...
flat fee Oct 23, 2002

I still count words for first-time content on a website.

Running a few websites myself, I normally agree a flat fee with my customers and allow them x number of changes within a month, covered by the fee. Every change beyond the flat fee is chargeable at a price. This way, my customers keep their changes down to a minimum and yet I can earn good money (sometimes without doing a thing!).

Kimmy
Local time: 05:36
Italian to English
+ ...
sounds like consultant's work to me..... Oct 23, 2002

Sven is right though. Invoice monthly and maybe even work out a contract!

Especially if you are living in Italy!

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:36
Dutch to English
+ ...
Web site updating Oct 23, 2002

You could also keep a time sheet and bill for each hour. You could actually send your time sheet with your invoices so that the customer can see what you have been doing.

A. DePaiva
Germany
English to German
Thank you, Sven Petersson! Oct 23, 2002

Thanks for this fantastic information!

Patrick McKeown  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone ... Oct 29, 2002

... for your advice.

Alas, some people are plain stubborn, so rather than getting on with the work, we (the client and me) are still \"finalizing things\"! Well, better to get it sorted out now, rather than have any litle surprises later. Bon courage. Patrick

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ongoing translation of incomplete website - how to bill?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs