Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:45
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Nov 3, 2006

It's me again needing more advice...
I tried a forum search with no luck-
In preparation for my move back to the US, I would like to request that my clients pay me into my US account as opposed to my Italian account. Up to now I've only received US bank wires from my US customers. I am trying to make my move as painless as possible and I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, so I would like to know if there is an extra cost involved here, and who pays it.
I know PayPal is pretty easy, but many of my Italian clients prefer a bank wire.
Does anyone know the fees for these types of payments?

Thanks again for everyone's time and advice!

Jennifer

Direct link Reply with quote

ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:45
German to English
+ ...
Why not keep your Italian account open for your European clients? Nov 3, 2006

Wiring money from Italy to the US will almost definitely incur a fee. While I recommend that you should require your clients to be responsible for that fee if they pay you by wire transfer, be warned that they may balk. If they want you to pay the transfer fee, you will have to raise your translation fee accordingly to avoid losing money.

However, a better solution may be to have your European clients continue to pay your Italian account. You would then initiate large transfers from your Italian to your US account from time to time. That would minimize overall transfer fees because making a few large transfers costs a lot less than making many small ones. This solution would keep the prices down for your clients while also keeping your costs to a minimum.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:45
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Norbert Nov 3, 2006

That's the very reason why I opened an account in Germany a few years back. My "Euroland" clients can transfer the money into my German account and I make an occasional larger transfer to my account in the States, which cuts down on the costs considerably.

Also, once you are in the States, you will find that US companies are not likely to make a wire transfer to your US account. Paying by check is the norm here.

So, don't close your Italian account, Jennifer!

Good luck,

Trudy

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:45
Member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Norbert and trudy Nov 4, 2006

That's basically what my bank suggested I do.
Thanks for the advice!

Jennifer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charges for payments from Europe to the US

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs