Thread poster: Ravindra Godbole

Ravindra Godbole  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:18
Member (2002)
English to Marathi
+ ...
Nov 6, 2006

Generally rates for translation as well as proof reading rates are quoted on per word basis.
If there are strings in IT for translation/ proof reading offered what shoud be quoted on word /string basis. Rates on strings basis should be accepted or not>

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-11-06 07:12]

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I quote per word for strings Nov 6, 2006

Ravindra wrote:
Generally rates for translation as well as proof reading rates are quoted on per word basis.

Generally, that statement is a gross generalisation.

If there are strings in IT for translation/ proof reading offered what shoud be quoted on word /string basis. Rates on strings basis should be accepted or not

I quote per word, even for strings. Strings can be of varying length (from one word up to several paragraphs long).

Erm, perhaps your client has a CSV file and he doesn't know how to count just one column of texts from it...?

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:48
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Right on, Samuel Nov 6, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Ravindra wrote:

Generally, that statement is a gross generalisation.

You are absolutely right, Samuel. A safer (and also commonly used) basis for proofreading quotes is to go by the hour as translation quality may greatly differ.

Steffen

Claudia Robles  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
New Professional How much to charge? Dec 26, 2006

I have read many of the comments and replies about translation and proofreadng rates but i am slightly confused. It is better to charge per word or per hr? or that may vary depending on the type of job? As a new professional am i in the right to charge the same as more experienced translators? I have been adviced by one of my leturers not to chartge less that 0.070 EUR per word, but sometimes i find customers think that is too much considering my little experience. However i do agree that we should not, under any circumstnces, lower our rates if we want our profession to be remmunerated properly and we all get fair rates.

Also, what is the recommended rates for proofreading?

Thank you.

Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation/proofreading rates

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs