Thread poster: Juan Carlos Azcoitia

Juan Carlos Azcoitia
Canada
Local time: 05:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 24, 2006

Dear colleagues,

I have recently "landed" on Canada to stay for a long... long time. In Spain I always worked for others as consultant (involving some translation duties), so as I had my social security number I didn't have to worry about paying taxes.
But now that I am in Montreal and plan to earn my living as a freelance (any suggestion for this will be much welcome), I feel a bit lost as far as billing is concerned. Do I need to create a company? to be incorporated? the social security number suffices? Will I have to pay a lot before earning my first buck?

Of course I don't ask anybody to answer all this for me, I just need something to start from, an address, organism, webpage...

Thanks in advance,
JC

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxPRen  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:08
French to English
+ ...
Welcome to Canada! Nov 24, 2006

Hi Juan and welcome to Canada. A good place to start is:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/business/sme/menu-e.html

You can also call them - they're very helpful.

Paula (in business, in Canada)

michiko tsumura  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:08
Member (2006)
English to Japanese
Hi! Nov 24, 2006

As far as I know, you don't have to be corporated to be a freelancer and you don't have to have a GST number if you sell less than $30,000 a year within the country. Personally, I didn't even register as a proprietor. But you do still need to file the tax (well, hard to get away from that!).

I know that there are a lot of things that are different in Quebec from the rest of Canada.

The site Paula mentioned is good. I used it when I was starting up.

Good luck.

P.S. An advantage of corporating yourself is that your private asset doesn't get affected however the company does. If you would like to have a bank account or telephone number under your business name, you have to be corporated or have a proprietorship.

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:08
French to English
Welcome! Nov 24, 2006

Welcome to Canada and Montreal!

You do not need to incorporate your business if you are freelancing. I have been freelancing for 9 years and have always worked under my name.

I imagine you will need a social insurance number. With that, you can either find employment or work freelance. Next will be getting your name out to potential clients. It could take time before you start getting work on a regular basis, so if you can still get work from your current clients, that would be ideal.

Juan Carlos Azcoitia
Canada
Local time: 05:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 24, 2006

Thank you Paula, Michiko and Erika!

Thank you all for your information, it's been really helpful. I've been reading a lot about BN and other stuff from the Revenue Agency web site. The good news is to know that, for the time being, there's no need to it as it's more interesting now to start earning some money. The problem now is that as I'm starting in the translation business as freelancer not only in Canada but also even in the solar system. There's too much to do, to many contacts to make, too much marketing... and eventually, translate something.

So, thanks again for the info, köszönöm szépen az információt, arigatou gozaimasu.

JC

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Billing and incorporations for translating in Canada

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs