Mobile menu

How to bill for a translation compiled from 2 docs
Thread poster: slabejka
slabejka
Local time: 03:05
Slovak to English
Dec 5, 2006

I did a job for a good client that was basically a compilation of 2 documents previously translated (by someone else). The client sent me the text to be translated plus the 2 previous documents in English. I probably translated a total of 3 pages (out of 16) and the remaining was "hunt and extract" from the other 2 documents, plus a bit of proofreading.
The job took me the majority of a whole day and I'm not sure what to charge the client. I can't really charge them full price (or can I?), but at this point I have no way to count what I translated and what I copied over and edited. Should I just charge them my hourly rate for proofreading?
Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Depends on what you agreed with client beforehand Dec 5, 2006

Hi Renata,

This would depend on what you had agreed before commencing work. Did the client send you a purchase order? What were the terms specified?

Steffen

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Exactly Dec 5, 2006

Steffen Walter wrote:

Hi Renata,

This would depend on what you had agreed before commencing work. Did the client send you a purchase order? What were the terms specified?

Steffen

You should act on your agreement with the client before starting the work.

slabejka
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
No specific agreement Dec 5, 2006

The client and I have a standing, informal agreement on a per page rate for translations and a per hour rate for proofreading, so we do not agree on specific conditions for each job. This job actually ended up being more "secretarial work" than anything, which is odd because I'm sure they could have had someone in their office compile the new document to include the previous English translations and insert the sections needing translation. I'm sure they realize this would have saved them money, which is why I'm now not sure what they expect to be charged for this work. Which in the long run probably doesn't really matter to them because they are a law firm and they re-bill their client for the translations anyway.

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:05
Member (2004)
German to English
Put a proposal to the client Dec 5, 2006

In your situation I would decide what I wanted to charge - which would be on the basis of my hourly rate (on the whole my hourly rate is my hourly rate, irrespective of whether I am spending the time translating, proofreading or whatever) - and I would then send the client an e-mail pointing out that no price had been agreed beforehand but saying that you think it would be appopriate to charge X, and is that OK with him? You'll probably find that he will happily agree.

Hamza Gürdal  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Turkish
+ ...
For different jobs different charge Dec 5, 2006

You can charge only what is equitable. You know for certain how long time you spend for a page of proofreading. Charge the pages translated before by the average rate of yours and the remaining part as translation. I would consider it as just

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to bill for a translation compiled from 2 docs

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs