Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:52
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Dec 7, 2006

Hi,

Guess this happens to all of us once in a while, still I find it disturbing.

I've been translating for an organization for quite some time and do regular work for them. And I've no complaints on the payment front. But recently, I received a text to translate, a sort of review document for publications/ newsletters. And I was surprised to see that the credits for my translations (which I did and was paid for) have been given to another person who is an employee of that organization. Is it normal?

Of course, his name is under the heading: volunteer translator but that doesn't change the fact that I'm the one who's done all these translations and spent hours on formatting that text.

I guess there's not much I can do but still I'd like them to acknowledge my contributions rather than giving the credit to someone else!!!

Should I take it up with them?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ritu

[Edited at 2006-12-07 06:42]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Inform them about the error Dec 7, 2006

Should I take it up with them?

You can give them a benefit of doubt and assume somebody screwed up unintentionally. If it turns out different, well, its good to know about it too.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:52
English to French
+ ...
I'd bring it up Dec 7, 2006

It's not even about the credits - it's simply about principles. It's one thing not to acknowledge - it's completely another thing to acknowledge someone who didn't do all the work. Maybe the person who got the credit is trying to get into translation? Hmmm... Wouldn't be surprised...

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If company, then yes, but not if individual Dec 7, 2006

Ritu Bhanot wrote:
And I was surprised to see that the credits for my translations (which I did and was paid for) have been given to another person who is an employee of that organization. Is it normal?

IMO it may be normal if your client is an agency and the agency's name is given as the "translator". I don't really agree with it, from a philosophical point of view, but I have no objections to it either. However, showing an individual person's name as the translator when that person is simply the recipient or the reviewer of a translation, is IMO not right.

France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Direct Client Dec 7, 2006

It's a direct client and the person whose name has been given as translator is an employee of that organization.

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You think it is not right, so ask what happened Dec 7, 2006

We can all come up with some kind of morals and rules here, but I think the most important thing is, how you feel about it.

If I felt, something is not right, is not what I agreed upon with my client, I would bring it up, of course! It is not always about money, it is also about the bad feeling in my guts, when I work against my better understanding. It is not healthy!

You can tell them that there must have been a mistake, since you were the one who translated these texts. And then just wait how they explain it. Maybe they do not want anybody else to know that they outsource translations.

Once you know, why they act like this, you can work together on a solution that fits nicely for both parties.

France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Dec 8, 2006

Thank you Vito, Viktoria, Samuel and Claudia for your suggestions. And you are right. I guess the reason why I asked the question was because I wanted to take it up with them... so, I'll go ahead and do it.

Thanks.

Ritu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Credits

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums