Project management software for agencies?
Thread poster: Talent Success
Talent Success
Talent Success
United States
Local time: 20:09
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 9, 2006

I have a small translation agency, and I'm looking for translation project management software - open source or otherwise. I just got an email about TranWise (http://www.tranwise.com/), a product that seems useful but very expensive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:09
English to Indonesian
+ ...
sourceforge.net Dec 9, 2006

You can browse http://sourceforge.net to find some good open source ones. I'm sorry I can't personally vouch for one, as I don't use any project management software.

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:09
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Trans-Project Dec 9, 2006

You may try this software. Unfortunately their website www.trans-project.com seems to be closed for re-construction, but it contains a contact form, and you will find the program and plenty of information if you search for "trans-project" in Goggle.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:09
Flemish to English
+ ...
Projetex Dec 9, 2006

Advanced International Translators(AIT) made a lot of useful products for translators and one for agencies: projetex.
Google advanced intl.translators. Click projetex. Price :€500

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:09
English to French
+ ...
project-open Dec 9, 2006

Please Google it up. On their site, there is an online demo wherein you will very easily see what this can do and how you can use it for your needs.

It's free, open source. Intalling it is a pain in the butt, but otherwise, it's probably by far the best open-source out there.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 18:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
Don't use MS Project program - bloated with extraneous features, esp. for small business Dec 9, 2006

Greetings.

Whichever PM software you consider and eventually adopt for use, may I suggest that you do not use the "MS Project XP/2003/2007" application.

IMPO, while that program is robust, it is convoluted to navigate and bloated with extraneous features. Its "over-built" complex contents and memory requirements make it unsuitable for use in a small business.

You might instead consider using MS Excel as a basic (but sufficient) PM tool for tracking and ann
... See more
Greetings.

Whichever PM software you consider and eventually adopt for use, may I suggest that you do not use the "MS Project XP/2003/2007" application.

IMPO, while that program is robust, it is convoluted to navigate and bloated with extraneous features. Its "over-built" complex contents and memory requirements make it unsuitable for use in a small business.

You might instead consider using MS Excel as a basic (but sufficient) PM tool for tracking and annotating the assigned translators (if you are outsourcing some projects), critical dates, phases, deadlines, and production status of a series of concurrent translation projects.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:09
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Excel Dec 9, 2006

Over the years I have tried out many softwares for keeping track- creating invoices- but none worked for me.

Mainly because our invoices have to comply with requirements of our local Tax Authorities, the second reason is that some small percentage of them (for our local clients) have to be all in Latvian- no help from these softs there.

So we developed our Excel based system during years 2000-2001 and (with little improvements) use it since. As you know, you can write/
... See more
Over the years I have tried out many softwares for keeping track- creating invoices- but none worked for me.

Mainly because our invoices have to comply with requirements of our local Tax Authorities, the second reason is that some small percentage of them (for our local clients) have to be all in Latvian- no help from these softs there.

So we developed our Excel based system during years 2000-2001 and (with little improvements) use it since. As you know, you can write/copy formulas (e.g, "=0,08*J42") in the Excel cells, use sum it tool to sum it up in the bottom of the sheet, link the result to another Excel sheet (in another Excel sheet in a particular cell just enter "="and then click on the appropriate cell in the source sheet, if you need to sum up results from other sheets, just add + sign and click on the next cell in another sheet (example: "=Juun!AH206+Juul!AH206+Aug!AH206+Sept!AH206+Okt!AH206+Nov!AH206+Dec!AH206+18")

Also our invoices are created in Excel (before printing them to PDF for sending to clients) and are linked the same way to our jobs accounting Excel sheet- so all updates automatically when any changes in jobs accounting Excel sheet are made.

HTH,

Uldis
Collapse

John Clark
John Clark
Local time: 03:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
Small version available Dec 13, 2006

Jill Bishop wrote:

I have a small translation agency, and I'm looking for translation project management software - open source or otherwise. I just got an email about TranWise (http://www.tranwise.com/), a product that seems useful but very expensive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jill,
There seems to be a small version also available and we received an email that there is going to be a fully demo version by Mid January. All other programs that we have tried out are not to our satisfaction. This program seems to be very time saving as all of your translators are live connected. Have you looked at the flash demo? Anyway for us it is the perfect solution as they are also helping you with adjusting this program to your needs and that is really perfect.

Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project management software for agencies?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »