Thread poster: Hipyan Nopri

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:53
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Dec 22, 2006

Dear Colleagues,

Yesterday, I finished a translation job. Because I was very tired, I did not make and send the invoice yet.

This morning, I received a greeting card from the agency while in fact I will send the invoice today.

Do you think it is polite to send the invoice today?

This question is asked in connection with the fact that I have just received a greeting card. It seems to me that I reply her card with an invoice (if I send the invoice today.)

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:53
English to French
+ ...
Answer the card first Dec 22, 2006

You can simply answer the card for now and send the invoice another day.

By the way, it is accepted practice that you invoice at a later date but still invoice from the day the job was completed. So, if you completed the job yesterday, you can still send an invoice next week that is dated December 21. At least, I have several clients who have suggested this before. In other words, it's not because you are late in invoicing that they will pay you later than initially agreed.

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:53
English to German
+ ...
Do not mix business and personal matters Dec 22, 2006

You can say thanks for the Christmas Card, if you like. As a matter of fact, sending Christmas Greetings is also just a question of keeping good business relationships.

An invoice is no unfriendly letter or mail and no insult, but just part of the work you did. You should not think of yourself as someone who is unfriendly because you send an invoice. If you did not deliver your translation in time I have no doubt the client has not the slightest difficulties to send you a Christmas Greeting and a reminder on the very same day. These are just two different matters, so do not mix them.

Be happy about the Christmas Greetings and send a nice reply if you feel like it. It can make Christmas a happier time, if people care about these greetings.

And send your invoice as soon as its ready, just not with the same mail. So they can show that they put their good wishes to work by paying soon ...

Marikarmen
Local time: 00:53
English to Spanish
No way Dec 23, 2006

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

Yesterday, I finished a translation job. Because I was very tired, I did not make and send the invoice yet.

This morning, I received a greeting card from the agency while in fact I will send the invoice today.

Do you think it is polite to send the invoice today?

This question is asked in connection with the fact that I have just received a greeting card. It seems to me that I reply her card with an invoice (if I send the invoice today.)

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Christmas is Christmas and work is work. So, don't hesitate in sending the invoice. I agree with thanking for the card first and after you send the invoice.

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 13:53
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Fellow Translators Jan 3, 2007

Thank you very much indeed for all your invaluable comments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs