Mobile menu

UK current account for resident in the Netherlands
Thread poster: Saskia Steur
Saskia Steur  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 12, 2007

I would like to find out what would be the best UK bank to apply for a current account.

I lived and worked in the UK between 1989 and 1996 and had a current account with the Girobank (now A&L).

In 1996 we moved to the Netherlands and due to our recent move to another town I have been informed by A&L than they no longer allow me to keep this account.

I am now looking for another UK current account. The main reasons for this is that I have a number of regular UK clients who pay me in pound sterling, straight into my UK current account AND that we often stay in the UK for holidays and business and it's therefore very convenient to use that same account, withdrawing cash as we need it.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!
Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:39
Member (2004)
German to English
it's not going to be easy Jan 13, 2007

All of the High St. banks require documentation without end to ensure you are not money laundering.

Try these:

Why is the current bank saying you can't continue with them? And can they provide an alternative?

As an alternative you may be able to set up a sterling acount with the bank in your country.

Sorry I can't help more.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:39
Flemish to English
+ ...
Utility-bills. Jan 13, 2007

In the UK, you will have to provide utility-bills of the past three months as well as your passport.
On the Isle of Man (not a member of the EU) it is possible if you deposit the equivalent of 10.000 euros in a savings-account.

[Edited at 2007-01-13 09:40]

Jacqueline van der Spek  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
foreign currency account Jan 13, 2007

Hi Saskia,

Why don't you ask your Dutch bank to open a foreign currency account for you? I have one at my local Rabobank in USD, because I have a lot of customers in the US.

Enrique Huber  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bank acccount in the UK Jan 13, 2007

Try one of the new world banks, such as HSBC, Scotia Bank, Santander, BBVA,(these las t 2 from spain) City Bank from USA, Barclay's, etc. they have offices all over the world and you can do your banking at most of them anywhere in the world. You can receive deposits, make withdrawls, etc..
Hope this sheds some light.....
Regards, Enrique Huber.

Carola Stone
English to German
+ ...
UK account with residency in the Netherland Jan 14, 2007

Hi Saskia,

like you I moved from the UK to the Netherlands. Keeping your UK account is indeed very handy, if only to keep the conversion charges at bay.

Nationwide Building Society did not have a problem with me having a Dutch address as long as you inform them. No extra charges and statements are send to the new address.

(I am not sure, however, how they are with new accounts.)

In Holland I found ABN Amro very accommodating for international banking and expats accounts.

Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK current account for resident in the Netherlands

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs