Thread poster: Angela Dickson

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:23
French to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2007

Hello all,

I'm thinking about joining the ATA (American Translators Association) and wondered if any other foreigners have done so, and if they consider it worth the investment. On the one hand, the directory will/should be seen by a large number of potential customers; on the other, they might not be needing an UK-English translator.

I'd be grateful for any ideas and experiences you can share.

Direct link Reply with quote

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:23
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Most likely worth it Jan 16, 2007

There are plenty of American translators living in Europe who are ATA members. You would be in almost the same situation - a native English speaker with an interest in serving the U.S. market. It would give you more exposure in a big market.

I also believe that there are great benefits in attending the annual ATA conference in November. Unfortunately, I live in Europe and find it difficult to attend. This is why I am considering joining the ITI.

pma
South Korea
Local time: 20:53
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
I think it might pay off Jan 17, 2007

It is not only the listings. I guess that clients will get a better impression if you show an ATA certification.
I don´t mean thay won´t take you seriously otherwise, however there might be cases where the client knows nothing about you -except for what you say, of course- but we all say we are so good, right?
I hope I can go to the exams myself. Never been to Budapest

Jeremy_Chen
Australia
Local time: 22:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
Actually I have thought about it Jan 28, 2007

Angela Dickson wrote:

Hello all,

I'm thinking about joining the ATA (American Translators Association) and wondered if any other foreigners have done so, and if they consider it worth the investment. On the one hand, the directory will/should be seen by a large number of potential customers; on the other, they might not be needing an UK-English translator.

I'd be grateful for any ideas and experiences you can share.

After I passed NAATI (Australia) exams, I had tried to check if I could join ATA (because the tie between my country and the USA is very strong). Unfortunately, on the ATA's website, it reads:
=====
Membership Types
Active
Open to Associate or Student members who have passed an ATA certification exam or who are established as having achieved professional status through an Active Membership Review. Active members must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. Active members possess full rights and privileges as defined by the ATA Bylaws.
=====
It is not common to fulfil the citizenship or permanent residency requirement for aliens.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Look more closely Jan 28, 2007

Jeremy Chen wrote:

=====
Membership Types
Active
Open to Associate or Student members who have passed an ATA certification exam or who are established as having achieved professional status through an Active Membership Review. Active members must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. Active members possess full rights and privileges as defined by the ATA Bylaws.
=====
It is not common to fulfil the citizenship or permanent residency requirement for aliens.

Read two paragraphs further, and you'll find:

"Corresponding
Open to any person who meets all qualifications for Active membership, except U.S. citizenship or permanent residency. Individuals must be members for four weeks before applying for Active Membership Review or taking an ATA certification exam. Corresponding members possess the same rights and privileges as Active members except the right to hold Association office."

As I have no desire to hold office in a US-based organisation, that sounds fine to me.

Jeremy_Chen
Australia
Local time: 22:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
Taking the ATA exam is the only way? Jan 29, 2007

Angela Dickson wrote:

Read two paragraphs further, and you'll find:

"Corresponding
Open to any person who meets all qualifications for Active membership, except U.S. citizenship or permanent residency. Individuals must be members for four weeks before applying for Active Membership Review or taking an ATA certification exam. Corresponding members possess the same rights and privileges as Active members except the right to hold Association office."

As I have no desire to hold office in a US-based organisation, that sounds fine to me.

Wow, thanks.. I was too lazy to read to the end carefully.

So, if we want to join ATA, we have to sit the ATA exam somewhere in the USA, right?

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jan 29, 2007

Jeremy Chen wrote:

Wow, thanks.. I was too lazy to read to the end carefully.

So, if we want to join ATA, we have to sit the ATA exam somewhere in the USA, right?

You're kidding, right? I thought you guys were supposed to be helping me!

Both Active and Corresponding membership are...

"Open to Associate or Student members who have passed an ATA certification exam ***or who are established as having achieved professional status through an Active Membership Review***."

So no, the exam is not the only way to get full membership, and in any case the exam certainly does not have to be taken in the US. There's going to be a session at the Proz Budapest conference, for example.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Benefits of ATA membership for a Brit?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs